HPE SimpliVity
1748112 Members
3451 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

SIMPLIVITY cannot log into the Direct Console User Interface of the ESXi host.

SOLVED
Go to solution
HAPPY8
Occasional Visitor

SIMPLIVITY cannot log into the Direct Console User Interface of the ESXi host.

We have two simplivity hosts in a cluster and I need to change the management network VLAN assignemnt. On a normal ESXI host you login to the console using ILO and a remote sesssion , The Direct Console User Interface of the ESXi comes up and then you .press F2 to login . You can then change the IPADDRESS/VLAN on the managemet card. Not so easy when its running Simplivity as it seems that you cannot log onto the Console. When you get there via ILO you can see the normal ESXI screen but pressing any key just gets you an HP Simlivity logo with no login prompt and the ESXI screen in the background all greyed out.

Must be a simple way

Any assistance apreciated

3 REPLIES 3
SimonHorwood
Advisor

Re: SIMPLIVITY cannot log into the Direct Console User Interface of the ESXi host.

Hi Happy8

I think you may have an issue with the ESXi - F2 works with Simplivity ESXi's and you get the normal menu structure. I have seen it when the screen appears to freeze and you don't get a password prompt for about 10 minutes, usually after an upgrade. for me.

The host hasn't been marked as unresponsive in Vcenter?

Can you SSH to it and see if Hostd is running?

Cheers

Simon

DaveOb
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: SIMPLIVITY cannot log into the Direct Console User Interface of the ESXi host.

There is nothing really special about the ESXi implementation in SImplivity vrs a standard HPE ESXi  around the UI.

Perhaps try a different browser  use the .net in place of java.Update Java or .net.

Try mapping a hotkey to F2 in case its some type of keyboard mapping issue.

Personally I would not make the change until you have either physical access ot the node or the ability to open a DCUI session via ILO.

This may also apply https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-995E627C-284C-492A-A988-D7ABA2A665AE.html 

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
HAPPY8
Occasional Visitor

Dave SPOT on

The Keyboard mapping got screwed up somehow and when pressing any key I just got the Simplivity Text logo comming up . I tried this on another computer and now im getting the login promopt

You are a genius 

Thanks for the help. I can now change the vlan allocation and not fear getting locked out