3528 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion

AB455A moduls memory

Carme Torca
Super Advisor

AB455A moduls memory

Hi,

I have buy dimms of P/N AB455A for one RX7640, but its something wrong because the part number is it, but the moduls are diferents:

The box says: HP 8Gb REG PC2-5300 2x4GB Kit.

Part No. AB455A

I think its for one PC, not for one RX7640. But the Part. No its the same. Could anyone help me?. How I have to buy it correcty? maybe  AB455A, 8GB DDR memory module??

Thanks a lot of!

Carmen.

Users are not too bad ;-)
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: AB455A moduls memory

Both the Quickspecs for rx7640 and the partsurfer.hp.com website agree that AB455A is the correct part number for a kit of 2x 4 GB memory for a a rx7640 or rx8640 (both can take the same type of memory).

The partsurfer website indicates that the part number of the individual memory module is A9849-69001 (the suffix encodes things like original/refurbished/spare/etc. so it may be different). Do you see anything like this number on the actual memory module or on a sticker placed on it?

What is the reason you think these memory modules are for the PC? Is it the "PC2-5300" part in marking on the box?

"PC2-5300" is a standardized method for identifying memory types: "PC2" means it's DDR2 memory, and 5300 identifies the bandwidth of the memory (5.3 GB/s). The identification standard may be originally developed for the PC market, but there is no reason why similar identification could not be used with HP-UX too.

It also might be that the rx7640/rx8640 servers are designed to use similar memory modules as are commonly used in the PC server market: if the standard PC-style modules fulfill all the performance requirements, it might be cheaper to use them in new server designs instead of developing custom proprietary memory modules.

MK
Carme Torca
Super Advisor

Hi,

The reason is that the modules are complelty diferrent, and we cannot put the module with p/n: AB455A in the rx7640.

I adjunt the images. What could I do?. Who can I buy it correctly?

Thansk a lot of!

Carmen.

Ron Kruger
Advisor

The packages are labled with different part numbers. The smaller package is labled with part number AB455A and the larger package is labled with AB454A. Maybe you received the wrong part.

Carme Torca
Super Advisor

Yes, I know.

AB454A is for one Rx7640. Moduls of 2Gb, and it is correct.

by AB455A (moduls of 4Gb). We have buy it for one Rx7640, but who you can see its not correct, they are smallers. In the url say that this part num: AB455A is for one rx7640, but I think there are some error, because we cannot put it in one rx7640. I have put the images to show you.

What I have to do to buy modules of 4Gb for one rx7640 correctly?

Thanks,

Carmen.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The smaller package (AB455A) certainly looks like a genuine HP PC memory package, and the form factor is quite clearly PC-style DIMM. The sticker in the middle of the DIMMs repeats the serial number listed on the DIMM kit package.

But there are irregularities too: the blue sticker on the DIMM repeats the memory kit part number, where I think it should have a different part number identifying a single memory module, like on your AB454A memory module.

Each memory module inside a AB455A kit should be labeled with a part number like A9849-<suffix>. 

I'm not sure if the memory kit serial number *should* be repeated on the individual memory modules: each rx7640 memory module should have an individual serial number, like "PRY06170HZ" on the AB454A memory module.

This actually looks like someone might have mis-labeled cheaper PC memory to look like rx7640/Superdome memory.  It might be a mistake in a HP facility... but it also might be someone trying to commit some kind of deception, possibly fraud.

Where did you buy these from? Even if it was not from HP directly, HP might like to know about this.

Even if it's simply a labelling error, you should be able to get it fixed as a warranty case.

MK