1754342 Members
4986 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Itanium and OS

Bruce Baillie
Regular Advisor

Itanium and OS

Since we don't have a forum for Itanium, yet, I hope I can get an answer here. The Itanium will run 3 different OS's. HP-UX, Linux and XP. Can I install HP-UX and XP and run Microsoft applications along with my HP-UX applications without rebooting?

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 9000 to Servers > Integrity. -HP Forum Moderator

Why can't we all get along?
4 REPLIES 4
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

No, I am sorry. You can have the HPUX installation up and running, but to go to the Windows installation, you must reboot and boot off of that disk. They didn't merge the OS or anything foolish like that, the processors will just run any of the 3 OS flavors.

We have 1 machine with 2 sets of disks, so we can boot off of totally different disks for the alternate OS. (It is a lab machine...)

Hope it helps.

John
Spoon!!!!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt that you'll be able to do what you describe.

What I can see happening is having an Itanium machine that is partitioned into a couple of virtual machines and then you have HP-UX running one on partition and Windoze running on the other partition. Now you have access to all applications at the same time.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Bruce,

You can with virtual partitions, but that requires resources (CPU/MEMORY/DISK/LAN) for each partition.

You might be able to use VMWARE???

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Bruce Baillie
Regular Advisor

The virtual partition seems like a possible solution but it is only available on L3000 and N4000 and I don't see anything about the Windows OS only HP-UX. I guess I could use VMware if it supported HP-UX, but it dosen't.
Why can't we all get along?