1755789 Members
4880 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LC2000 Slowdown

Alex Bowen
Occasional Contributor

LC2000 Slowdown

I have a LC2000 with RAID 5 runnig Netware 4.2. Over the weekend I ran a consistency check on the drives (the first one ran in a while) to find that today users are experiencing a slow down in performance that wasn't there last week. Is there something that I may have done wrong, etc?

Thanks,

Alex
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Young_2
Trusted Contributor

Hi Alex,

When you say "the first one I ran in a while", how long do you mean? The reason I ask is that consistency checks should be run religously at LEAST once a month. If you go a long time without running one and then do one, you run the risk of corrupting data. The problem is that if you let it go for too long, when you finally do run a check, the array may have so many inconsitencies to repair that all it does is cause more problems. Often people don't really experience the consequences of not running consistency checks until they try to rebuild a drive and get a failure. Your case is not beyond the realm of possibility however.

I would also recommend checking and updating your NetRAID firmware (especially on 1M and 2M's) as well as the firmware on your Hard Drives. Be sure that if you update the NetRAID firmware, you also grab the latest driver for your OS.

You may be well past this issue already, but I hope it is helpfull to you.
Harold Morgan

I can't help with this problem, but I wanted to know if I could have a copy of your navigation CD. I have the same machine, but did not get a navigation cd with it and i cannot install an operating system to the machine. Ofcourse I am trying to get windows 2000 server for this. Do you know of anyone willing to sell theres also. please call me at 810-449-0513 if you can help or email me at halmorgan2@aol.com
AnthonyB
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alex,
Did you resolve your LC2000 speed issue after consistency check?
I am interested as I about to run consistency check on LC2000 with raid 5 containing about 90Gb of data and I don't think previous admin ran one in 2 years!

Mark Young_2
Trusted Contributor

Anthony,

Hi. If you haven't run one in two years, I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't. At this point, the only time you are going to want to run it is if you are having problems to the degree where you are considering reconfiguring and initialzing your array and then restoring from backup.

Since it has been so long, if you aren't experiencing problems, I wouldn't take the risk of doing one. If you do one now, you run a good risk of corrupting some if not all of your data.

Mark