1755721 Members
3098 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LH pro dual proc initialize

erdman
Occasional Contributor

LH pro dual proc initialize

I am running win2k on an LH Pro and trying to get it to recognize the dual processors. It says during post that the system is initialized for a single processor. According to the schematics in the manuals the jumpers are set correctly but it is not seeing the second proc. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RD
4 REPLIES 4
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Has the server ever recognized two processors? Are the two processors identical? When did you install the 2nd processor?
Have you accessed the BIOS setup to update the CMOS?
David Robinson_1

I have exactly the same question/problem. I am trying to upgrade an old LH II to dual 300s. The dip switches on the processor card are correctly set and the system recognizes a single 300 MHz processor, giving the boot message "Dual-ready system initialized for single processor." I have downloaded and installed the latest BIOS upgrade (4.05.20) as well as the matching ECU version (1.24). The processors are identical -- 300 MHz, 512 cache, same stepping level, same factory. Either one works normally as a single processor. The system has never recognized a second processor either before or after the BIOS upgrade.

I have no manuals for this machine. I do not know how to get into the CMOS except by using the ECU, which doesn't seem to be right. If it's as simple as changing a BIOS setting, please tell me how to get there!
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

How many VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) are installed? There should be one VRM for each processor. If a second processor is added and there is no 2nd VRM, the CPU will not be recognized.
There is nothing to manually change in the BIOS update (ECU software program for both the LH Pro & LH II). If it can see both CPUs during POST it should report "Dual processor/processor system initialized".
For reference, the LH Pro user guide is available here:
http://h200002.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11737/lpn11737.pdf
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

If a second VRM is present, you may want to try and perform a clear CMOS.