2925 Online
54826 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH3000 processor upgrade help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Los

LH3000 processor upgrade help

I have a LH 3000 server running 1 600Mhz cpu. I would like to upgrade the cpu/module to two of the fastest cpu it can accept. I have read some documents and what I gather is that I will need to update the bios, then acquire a different processor module and install it. The fastest processor module that seems to be available is the 933Mhz. Would I just need to do the following:

1. Update the bios to the latest, 4.06.33
2. Install the "processor modules"
a. This would require changing some things on the bios/hardware, ie setting switches to off.
3. Upon boot to NT4 server, it should recognize the 2 new processors fine without any need for any kind of configuration change.
3 REPLIES 3
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LH3000 processor upgrade help

Hi Los,

A couple of things to take into consideration:
1. 4.06.33 PT is the latest BIOS IF the server is the U2 model. The U3 models require BIOS update ver. 4.06.04 RN.
2. The server supports up to PIII-1GHz CPU's; P/N: P2488A. You can find some here: http://www.pmount.com/search.asp?ss=P2488A
3. If Windows NT was installed with a single CPU, then it will not recognize the second one until you run the utility called uptomp.exe. You can read about it from Microsoft here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124541/

Hope this helps,
Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. if this information is helpful, please rate it's value by assigning points to it.

I am King...of my apartment.
e4services
Honored Contributor

That is correct, the faster CPU in that Pentium 3 class was the 1Ghz and it was the fastest the chihpset on the LH3000 supported. Unfortunately there were not many of them manufactured and prices for such a cpu are high because there are so rare. We do have 2 though.
Cost wise you are get more from the 933, they were highly produced and are readily available.
As for your install, you are correct, but as noted the NT Kernal must be updated to the multiprocessor Kernal to use them (if software supports such a thing).
Suggestion: Load it up with memory, that will speed things up more than the cpu change.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Los

I do plan on increasing the memory but right now my CPU is my bottleneck. The server is running a SQL 7 db. When querries and other things are ran on the server, the CPU is currently my biggest bottleneck. I plan on acquiring one 933mhz cpu. If the CPU is still a bottleneck then I'll look into adding a 2nd one.