5250 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirror drive arrays using TWO Netraid card

ML Chin
Occasional Advisor

Mirror drive arrays using TWO Netraid card

hi All,

I've looked thru one of the earlier posting where a user asked whether we could mirror a R5 drive array across two R/S 12 using a single Netraid (different channel). The answer was "no" as that would be Raid 51.

My question is this... can we install another Netraid card (2 Netraid cards on a single server), one card connected to one R/S 12; then, mirror the R5 array across the R/S 12 (duplexing)?

I'm trying to get some redundancy across the R/S 12 without using Raid 10, as the "0" does not provide redundancy. (If the option above is do-able it would make a better cluster configuration)

Thanks for the help.
2 REPLIES 2
Dave.
Valued Contributor

Re: Mirror drive arrays using TWO Netraid card

Hi there,
Your suggestion is possible but it would envolve using the Opsys to do the mirroring between the controllers which defeats the advantage of using hardware RAID controllers.

Your idea to use RAID 10 would achieve fault tolerance between RS/12's. I would connect them to the same controller but different channels. Then when creating the array make sure you select the RAID 1 pair between RS/12's and use spanning to expand the array (RAID0 stripping).
Regards, Dave
ML Chin
Occasional Advisor

Re: Mirror drive arrays using TWO Netraid card

thanks dave.

I already knew about the RAID 10 solution, and the OS solution. But, I'm trying to get a Netraid solution (redundancy without resorting to RAID 10).

BTW, just to share, using the OS mirror will do just fine but will not work for some MS Cluster configuration. (Didn't work for Oracle Failsafe! Worked for File sharing though!)

Thanks for the help.