108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network disconnects.

SOLVED
Go to solution
noka
Frequent Advisor

Network disconnects.

LC2000 w/RAID-1M card, (5) 18GB hotswap drives (RAID-5 config), Win2K SP2 and also following security patches and hot-fixes (w2ksrp1.exe, Q314147.exe).

Problem: Application crashes (usually returns to Win2K desktop but sometimes hangs). Inspection of Win2K System Event log shows Event ID=4202,4201, source Tcpip sometimes one or two entries, sometimes numerous entries. Text is something like:

"The system detected that network adapter Connection was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers."

Not sure what driver we use (probably taken automatically from Win2K CD).

Strange thing is that clients (Vectra VL400) also exhibit same symptom sometimes.

Any idea?
Measure twice, cut once.
4 REPLIES 4
noka
Frequent Advisor

Additional info:
Switch is ProCurve 2324 (J4818A, unmanaged). All PC's set to "auto-detect (LC2000)" or "hardware default" (VL400) for speed and duplex setting, to create 100Mbps/full-duplex environment.
Measure twice, cut once.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

First suspect would be either LAN cable or switch/hub. Let's get the LC2000 NIC driver updated and install the latest HP NIC utility (PROSET II) in order to run diagnostics. I am assuming you are using the integrated NIC in the LC2000 (HP Netserver 10/100TX):

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/keeper_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix51734.html
The NIC driver should be e100bnt5.sys. The associated PROSET II utility will allow you to monitor NIC activity and run diags, which will test NIC, cable, etc.

CONFIGURATION QUESTIONS:
-NIC configured to autodetect? Half or full duplex? 10 or 100Mbps?
noka
Frequent Advisor

I forgot something. The VL400 PC's (P5068W) are connected to two ProCurve "hubs" (J3295A - autosensing) using the on-board NICs. The hubs are plugged into the ProCurve J4818A switch (separate ports, not cascaded hubs). VL400's NICs set to "hardware default" for speed(media) and duplex - whatever that means (any idea)?

The LC2000 (P1802U) yes on-board NIC, is set:
"Link Speed & Duplex" = "auto detect".

How (where) can I check the current NIC driver? Depending on where I look I see different identifiers.
Measure twice, cut once.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

To check what driver is installed under Windows 2000:
1. Go to Device Manager (several ways to get there).
2. In Device Manager, select the HP Adapter under Network Adapters, right-click, then PROPERTIES.
3. Select DRIVERS tab, then Driver Details.