1754321 Members
2854 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIC Teaming Issue: Static IP Configuration Failed

Rudolf, Alexander

NIC Teaming Issue: Static IP Configuration Failed

I have a problem with a HP Network Team:

I set up two NICs for a NFT Team, then configure it for a static IP address. When I return to IP configuaration tab, the IP settings are lost and the interface seems to be configured for DHCP. But when I start ipconfig, all static settings are shown correct. Most confusing is the fact, that the interface seems to use the static settings effectivly plus doing dhcp requests and reservation simultaneuosly.

This affects all of a set of new installed servers. All of them are Proliant DL385 G2 with an additional HP Dual Port NIC.

NIC onboard: 2x NC373i Multi GiB Server NIC
NIC add.: Dual-Port NC360T PCIe DP Server NIC
PSP: 7.80A
(Our initial windows setup script installed a older version - after I recognised the problem I first upgraded to 7.80A)
HP Network Configuration Utility: 8.60

None of the physical NIC┬┤s have been configured for a static IP before. I use the two Ports of the NC360T NIC for teaming.

One thing I tried is to uninstall all NIC drivers from the device manager and reboot. After all NIC┬┤s are found and installed I configured the Team again and had the same effect.

I reinstalled the HP NIC Configuration Utility (tried current version plus downgrade/upgrade)- but the problem remains.

I tried to discard the team and configure one interface to the static IP - this works without problems. But there is no redundancy.

How can I resolve the problem?
7 REPLIES 7
Rudolf, Alexander

Re: NIC Teaming Issue: Static IP Configuration Failed

### Dirty Workaround: ###

After a fresh installation with PSP (!) the two broadcom parent devices are installed once as "Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme GigE" and once as "HP NC373I Virtual Bus Device". As long as these devices are installed all new created teams are corrupt! Uninstalling these two devices and creating a very new team does the trick. After that you can rescan for new hardware and install the previously seen devices normally and all shold work okay. Good luck :)

Looking forward for a bug fix from HP....
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Also try this simple trick, on your task bar, right-click on the network icon -> Repair.

hope this helps!
kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Rudolf, Alexander

No. "Repair" doesn├В┬┤t work.
BBLLP

I am also running into this issue on BL480c and BL460c blades using PSP 7.80 and Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2. However, it only seems to happen with the 64-bit version of PSP 7.80 on x64 Windows. Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
BBLLP

Meant to add that I also observe the issue of the NICs showing up once as "HP NC373i Virtual Bus Device" and second as "Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE" under System Devices in Device Manager. Unfortunately, the uninstall/reinstall isn't doing the trick for me, it appears.
Rudolf, Alexander

I am running 32Bit Version of Windows 2003 Server.

Did you create the team while alle the broadcom stuff was really uninstalled?
BBLLP

Well, we did play with it some more and I do stand corrected. If we create an adapter team on non-NC373i NICs first (while they are uninstalled), we can then turn around and add the NC373i cards back and are then able to team them as well without losing their static IP settings. We have NC373i teams on 32-bit Windows and don't see this issue (or hadn't noticed it yet), but we have seen it on every 64-bit Windows 2003 R2 SP2 box that we have built.