1755700 Members
2983 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

category selection for posting

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

category selection for posting

Just a thought for a minor improvement to this forum - when making a post, the category should NOT default to "databases", but require the user to select the category or at least make it "general". This has caught me before and I think it catches a number of new people in the forum who don't realize this has been set and end up adding non-database items to that category. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
5 REPLIES 5
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Re: category selection for posting

Makes sense to me...

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

I think the category should be more noticeable (bigger font/bold etc).

The ability to move a post, rather than being prompted where to put the post, would be nicer.

I would also like the ability to edit my posts and/or replies, rather than having to do multiple posts to correct errors. This is important when giving someone advise on their problem and you find that you left something out or mispelled a command.

Marty
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Dave:

I wholly agree, and have, in fact, submitted this as a new feature request at least twice! In my opinion, *no default* should be loaded, forcing the user to think (?!) and choose. Of course, the counter argument is that a high proportion of the categorization anyway is wrong or assigned to "system administration" and/or "general" when it could be more narrowly refined.

I urge you to post this suggestion in the latest Forum's Issues thread (although I haven't seen one for July, yet); or click on "contact hp" on the left and submit the suggestion there.

Regards!

...JRF...
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Dave,

Just so you know, I have emailed this thread to Dan as well.

Regards,
Eric
Kimberly Ann
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

You are absolutely correct...and Jim has submitted this more than once as he has mentioned. I've been caught by it as well! We simply need to get the change up the priority list and into the next release. I will look into this and see what can be done. Thanks for your great input.

Regards,
Dan
Forums Manager