1755678 Members
3781 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Extent-based mirror

Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Extent-based mirror

I am migrating a server's disk volumes from one disk frame to another using mirrors. I add the disks from the new disk frame to my volume group run lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg/lvol PVG1 and it works fine. My questions is I have a volume group with several small luns 34gb. The disk from the new disk frame has been presented as 174gb luns. Since the lvols on the old disk frame are created using the distributed/strict option, I need to do the same on the new disk frame. Can I use the distributed option with only two luns and if I can is it advisable. Should I have the more smaller luns presented.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
F Verschuren
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Extent-based mirror

if you are moving the date whit morroring make sure that the disk fit in the vg:
Max PE per PV 4350
VGDA 14
PE Size (Mbytes) 4
in this cause
max disk size = 17 gig

the strickt is no problem on the bigger luns
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bob,

If you are using hp-ux 11.31 you can use the vgmodify to adjust the extents to maximise the use of your LUN. I believe that you can under certain conditions with hp-ux 11.23.

I am sure I have seen other members qualify this better, but cannot find the link.

Mike.
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Thanks for input. According to my calculations the maximum size lun would be 65gb. So the disk will need to be presented as smaller luns.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Not that you asked but you can turn off the distibuted/strict at any time.

The existing lvol will stay the way it is, extentions to the lvol will follow the new setting.

Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Thanks Tim. That is a simpler option. I'll ask.
Bob Manocchia
Regular Advisor

Thanks everyone. I'm having the disk presented as 64gb volumes since the multiple of PE per PV x PE size is 65gb.