3272 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX cannot access certain URL?

Li Chunfeng
Occasional Advisor

HP-UX cannot access certain URL?

Hi,all:
I've meet a strange question.I have a HP A400 box and runs hp-ux 11.00.It is act as a proxy server for my office.One day,I found that I could not access a URL(www.21cn.com).I try every possible solution,but at last,I found that the HP box could not access that URL at all,that is,when I run netscape for HP-UX on the HP box,it eject a window and says that:"could not connect to www.21cn.com.Connection reset by peer.".I've ask HP for this problem,but their engineers insists that there is no problem in their product.So,Is there anybody who use HP box and netscape navigator to access the WWW directly(not through proxy)?Or use it as a proxy server?If so,please do me the favour to try that URL(www.21cn.com) and tell me whether you have meet the same question just like me.Thanks a lot!!!

Regards,
Li Chunfeng
Li
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX cannot access certain URL?

If it's any consolation I can't get to that site either, and that is from a normal connection. I get a message from my proxy that the site doesn't exist or could be down.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Li Chunfeng
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
The website's IP address is 61.140.60.21.You may ping it first to see whether your can reach it.If you have any result,please let me know.

Regards,
Li
Li
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I've just tried the same site again, and this time it's up. Perhaps the site is having problems and is only up somtimes until it is fixed?

Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Li Chunfeng
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Can you view the site without error(this site is in Chinese,so you may unable to see the contents,don't care about it),such as error number 500 in IE? What proxy server do you use?Is you use HP box as proxy server?If so,which proxy software do you use?
Li
rick jones
Honored Contributor

do you get connection reset by peer, or connection refused by peer? if the latter, it could be that the site is implemented under windows. when an application's (eg web server) listen queue is full windows TCP will return a RST segment, somewhat contrary to accepted practice.

that will trigger a connection refused by peer error on most Unix OSes.

now, if there were some sort of transparant proxy or somesuch, it might have actually accepted the connection (pretending to be the destination) and then passed-on the RST when it got it from the site. in that case, you would see a connection reset by peer error.

or, if the server accepted your connection, and took your request, parsed it, and decided it didn't like you, you might get the connection reset by peer.

a packet trace with something like tcpdump (www.tcpdump.org) might be a good thing.

i can assert with confidence that unless you have installed some sort of filtering software, there is nothing in the HP-UX networking stack that would preculde connecting to any arbitrary URL.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Li Chunfeng
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
I do get an error message when I use netscape on HP box to view the site,it says that:"could not connect to www.21cn.com.Connection reset by peer."And,what does it mean in you reply that "pretended to be the destination"?

Regards,
Li
Li
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I can get to the site fine but alas I do not have HP-UX connectivity to the internet. This is a Window Box (2000) running IE6. The site seems really busy with all sorts of moving things and one of those popup windows that I hate. The site actually loads a lot faster than the forum.

Ron
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I can get to the site fine but alas I do not have HP-UX connectivity to the internet. This is a Window Box (2000) running IE6. The site seems really busy with all sorts of moving things and one of those popup windows that I hate. The site actually loads a lot faster than the forum.

Don't know where you are but there might be somebody in between you and the site who doesn't want you to see the site. Do you go through a firewall?

Ron
Li Chunfeng
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for you kindly help!
I have no firewall with my proxy server.I'll continue to try other possible solution.

Regards,
Li
Li