108875 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX Password Problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Lawton
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX Password Problems

I recently accuired a HP-UX system; however I cant log on as I dont know the passwords - noone else does either. Is there any way I casn get past this or reinstall HP-UX.

The machine I have is a HP 9000 series E35 server with Scsi - I have a CD drive and a DAT drive as well as 16 2Gb hdd's

Thanks;
Tom
6 REPLIES 6
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

While booting the server, inttrupt the autoboot. when it says "press any key within 10 seconds to intrupt the auto boot".

You get PDC prompt. type "bo pri" and intract with IPL say "y"

from ISL> prompt type "hpux -lm"

You get # prompt, reset the password of root
using "passwd root" command.

TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
KCS_1
Respected Contributor

Hi,Tom

if, your system isn't trusted mode

you have to reboot and go to single mode for removing password of root,
and interupt your system's boot sequence during 10 secs to interrupt boot a message from console,

> bo pri
interact with IPL --- y

ISL> hpux -is

now,you are going to 'single' mode and login well without any password.

then reset your password of root in /etc/password.

now, you are able to change your run level under like this

# init 3 or 4

or

# shutdown -r now

hope you help.

Easy going at all.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Greetings,

You already have the tip to get to single user mode.

lm option will put you in maint mode (then type co to go to command line)

is option will put you in single user (preferred method)

So the rest should help you reset it
==================
But you asked about loading O/S...so here goes (since I'm waiting on a box to reboot..)

Once you get in, see what you have. If your o/s is old you may want to re-install the o/s. I believe an E35 (with enough space) can go up to 11.0 safely. Haven't tried it with 11i yet. But my old E35 works fine at 11.0.

First run ioscan -fn > ioscan.file and print this report, you will need it later.
Put the new o/s core cd #1 in the cdrom drive.
At command line type
shutdown -hy 0
turn off box when ok then turn it back and interupt the boot prompt, at menu type:
co
check for fastboot by typing
fb
turn fastboot on by typing
fb on
then search for cd drive # by typing
sea
it will show devices on screen with a P0,P1, etc. check your ioscan.file report and look for the hardware path for your cdrom. Find the same hw path on your 'sea' screen.
Now enter command
boot p<#of hw path for cdrom>
when it asks to interact with isl type 'n'
you will next begin the o/s load. After a few minutes it will prompt you for things.
Select Install HPUX (enter)
on next screen I recommend selecting the Advanced options (NOT the Guided Install).
On the advanced you can enter all the system info/network info/file system settings up front..so this is done for you. When all happy with your choices-select Go!....It takes about 45min-1hr and it will ask for disk 2....then when it's done it reboots itself.
After all done...load all your application software...then the patches, tune your kernel...and have fun !

Rgrds,
Rita

Sudhakar_5
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
u reset the system and boot the system into single user mode, it takes u into system without prmpting for passwd.Then u can change passwd.Boot thru single user mode as follows....

interrupt the auto bootprocedure by pressing anykey then say "boot", it prompts for whether to interact the ISL say "yes", then type "hpux -is".It takes you to root prompt.
now u can change the passwd

ATB...
sudhakar

CCIL
Frequent Advisor

reset the system , while system is coming just interrupt the boot proccess and then at system prompt say bo to boot the system , system will start to boot & it will ask for interacting with the IPL , choose yes , at ISL prompt say hpux -is , system will boot in single user mode and you will be login as root , then you can chage the password , using the passwd command
Amit Vichare
Rizwan Mohammed
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Give shutdown command machine will boot in single user mode

Rizwan
Know ?Urself before judging others