1758251 Members
2639 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network Ignite

placitasmd
Frequent Advisor

Network Ignite

I have an Ignite backup server that has a SAN attached storage device that is being used to archive images of several systems. In the event my Ignite server needs to be reloaded (and I have an archive in the volume group on the SAN), can I create a new Ignite server, import the volume group that has my archive, and recover my original Ignite server? Or should I just create my Ignite image of the Ignite server to tape?
Mark E Duhamel
4 REPLIES 4
Tony Scully_2
Valued Contributor

Re: Network Ignite

Having a tape recovery archive of the Ignite servers root vg would be the quickest way of getting it back. You could do what you suggest, but it would involve an install, configuration of an ignite server and then a network ignite recovery of the original ignite server. Seems long winded to me.

Tony
You CAN do that on HP
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Mark --

You should be able to do either one.

I personally always like to have a tape handy just in case somethine "else" goes wrong on the machine.

Best regards,

Oz
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

While either approach will work, the make_tape_recovery will have you up in a fraction of the time. An even sneakier method is to have a raw disk copy "lifeboat" of your boot disk that is refreshed weekly. Should anything happen, pop the lifeboat into the normal boot disk slot and you are back in business in a fraction of the time of any other method.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Plan C. Have two Ignite servers that can access the same SAN; if either fails, the other can get to the image and serve the other.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.