1756431 Members
3060 Online
108847 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SG over two different Os Version

SOLVED
Go to solution

SG over two different Os Version

I'm planning to start a Service Guard Cluster with two L series server, I still don't have the necessary array to start with. Is it possible to build a cluster with two servers with differente Os version? One of these two sever has 11i and the other one 11.0. Common sense would indicate this is not ideal, or even suggested, but I wanted to know if it's technicly possible with MC/Service Guard
5 REPLIES 5
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Pablo,

As long as they are of the same ServiceGuard version (Say 11.14), then you should be ok from serviceguard perspective. However, you may get into problems with filesystem incompatibilities etc.,. If at all you need to do it, I suggest you set everything up on 11.0 box including creation of VGs, filesystems etc., keeping in view the backward compatibility.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

It's not recommended to run ServiceGuard on different clusters, but cluster will run with different level of OS on the clustered nodes unless version of Service Guard is different.

-USA..
Good Luck..

Thanks a lot to both of you. It was clear enough, I was searching for this answer on MC/SG manuals with no result.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You can - but usually you only stay like that during a rolling upgrade.

A lot depends on application - fo example - you can NOT fail over Oracle between the nodes if the OS is different - as you need to re-link the binaries...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As long as the version of SG is same on both the servers you should be okay. Try this link to check on the compatibility between OS versions and SG versions.

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3935-90063/B3935-90063_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3935-90063/00/00/7-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/B3935-90063/00/00/7-toc.html&searchterms=version&queryid=20041013-092016

Look under the heading " Compatibility of MC/ServiceGuard with HP-UX"

Hope this helps.

Regds