109062 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sys Admin Daily Tasks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Teck Sim
Frequent Advisor

Sys Admin Daily Tasks

I am a DBA, and at the same time, I am also trained to become a Sys Admin. Anyone can tell me what are the daily routines/tasks need to perform and proactively manage the systems.
We are at hp-ux 10.20 and 11 9000/800 environment.
Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

see the following threads:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd3cca1abbac8d5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x26cc3bd5184bd61190000090279cd0f9,00.html

And there are a lot more, use search option and search for daily task.

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes, there are lot of threads in this forum on this topic. Check this guide too, it will be helpful:

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90672/B2355-90672.html

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor
Solution

There are a lot of posts in this forum talking about this topic, just search, and go through those results, you will get clearer picture.

For the daily task, it is really depends, it is a development environment, or it is a production environment?... What is the funtion of the server? web server, db server, openview server, printer server... Different answer for different area, but what I am trying to say here is no matter what is the environment, what is the server role, backup always is the top one!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

In the first thread that Clemens pointed you to, Clay Stephenson made this point
"Having all of the routine stuff handled automatically, frees you up for one of the MOST important tasks of a good sys admin - planning what we will be doing one or two years from now and how do we get there." Clay's right but he should have added that it's one of the most fun parts, too. I participate in the budget process, recommending hardware and software upgrades required to keep us up to date. It's like making out your Christmas wish list. In your case I'd plan on getting off those 10.20 servers soon.

Good luck,
Pete

Pete
John McDen
Regular Advisor

There are lots of jobs a Sys Admin needs to do...

Simple ones are ..

1. Monitor Disk Space
2. Monitor Disk Errors
3. Set up quotas..
4. Install software..
5. Maintain Lincenses
6. Apply Patches ..
7. Check the bakcup jobs..
... and the list goes on...

I would suggest you to write script to automate ...few procedures... by writing shell script and if you need more help the best place is this forum where the people are ready to help you always...

Good luck with your new assignment....

New to HP
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor