2087 Online
108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System hangs while changing ip address

Saravanan_15
Advisor

System hangs while changing ip address

Hi Experts,
I have a hp rx2600 server running hp-ux11.23. My problem is ,if i change the ip address from the CDE login, my system got hung. I have to hard reset the server. After reboot, sometimes the changed ip becomes active, sometime it remains old ip even after reboot...Why it so?.. Any idea???
11 REPLIES 11
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

Re: System hangs while changing ip address

Hi,

How did you change the IP address??

set_parms?
SAM?
or manually editing the files??

Make sure that the IP address you are using is already existing.

Regards,
--Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Saravanan_15
Advisor

through SAM..
I've tried using "ifconfig" also...
Simon Hargrave
Honored Contributor

Are you sure the server itself is actually hanging? Could it be just that when you change the network interface address you are kicked off the network at that time (if a CDE login this could look like a hanging windows session).

I would always recommend changing the IP address from the console (serial console, GSP card or command-line login on a GUI terminal).
Saravanan_15
Advisor

hi simon,
Ofcourse, i changed through GUI terminal (VGA console) only..
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

Saravanan,

The best way to do this is to edit the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file and specify the *correct* IP address, netmask, gateway and reboot the server. So that the next time the server boots, it comes up with the new settings.

Your system might not be actually be hanging...but getting disconnected and switching over to the new IP.

Regards,
--Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Saravanan_15
Advisor

Hi Naveej,
Thanks.. But, i did the changes through console only.. how it will get disconnect..
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

I think the problem is your client ip-address and server address are connected in same network and subnetwork in IP-Address.

If you change the server address with different network then connection will be getting out for client but server will run.

If you are having multiple ip-address then don't login with the interface where you are changing ip-address. Use another interface and login with that and configure ip-address of other interface.

post your client ip-address and server interface ip-address.

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you change the IP address of the machine, and do not have the old IP address any longer, any existing connections to that IP address (even if they are only on the machine itself) will fail. That failure will take as long as 10 minutes or even more to become noticed by the applications (if they rely on stack timeouts) and could very easily appear as a "hang"

You also need to make sure that the new IP will resolve in the DNS and/or /etc/hosts files

This is why if you want to change the primary IP of a system it is best to use set_parms and to allow the system to reboot.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Suraj Singh_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Sarvanan,

For any changes in the network parameters, you must first stop cde.

Try changing after stopping cde.

Regards,
Suraj
What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.