New Discussion юеВ

Total Storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becke
Super Advisor

Total Storage

Hi Guys,

What's the command in HP-UX to find out how much total storage we have in the server?

Cheers
Raf
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Total Storage

Hi Raf:

There is no single command. Do you want to count the physical disk size only (e.g. using 'diskinfo /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ'); or do you only want to count space assigned to LVM volume groups (e.g. 'vgdisplay vgNN')? But what if you have an LVM disk that hasn't been 'vgimport'ed? Then, 'vgdisplay' won't work.

Worse yet, what about raw disk? There's no LVM or VxVM signiture to tell you whether it's free to use or is already used. Do you count it in your totals?

What if you have LVM volume groups with alternate links. You shouldn't count each 'pvlink' since they point to the same physical disk.

You see, you have to be much more specific and also very careful to document what is being used and what should be considered free.

Regards!

...JRF...
Becke
Super Advisor

Thanks for your quick response James, I have this old legacy HP production server and all the disk are assigned to volume groups, thus there are no free disks, I have run vgdisplay command to add all the total PEs in each of the VG to calculate the total storage. Its been resolved.

Thanks for your help, I've leaned a lot in HP from the team here. I will assign points.

Cheers
Raf
Becke
Super Advisor

We have great team here, I have found my answer