1756552 Members
2657 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X - SLS/d - Single Logical Screen/Distributed problem

Misha Rekhson
Occasional Contributor

X - SLS/d - Single Logical Screen/Distributed problem

Hi - I have been trying to get single distributed logical screen on two B180L running HP-UX 10.20 but have not succeeded so far.

After I patched all the X related stuff as far as I can, I am stuck with slave starting up, but the Master dying with the following:

[VISCENTER NOTE ] Using video timing format: 1280x1024 @ 75Hz
[VISCENTER NOTE ] Starting Slave: emu-n1:50 (HP VISUALIZE-EG Color)
X Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Major opcode of failed request: 89 (X_StoreColors)
Serial number of failed request: 8
Current serial number in output stream: 9

(The slave seems to start OK - i.e., X background comes on, etc)

I've tried a variety of things, but has not been able to get passed this? Must be something obvious...

Thank you very much,
Misha
4 REPLIES 4
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Hi, Misha!

Do both B180L use the same graphics adapter (VIZUALIZE-EG)? The only known occurences of your error I found were caused by a different architecture of newer display cards.

The default colormap has allocated a transparent color in addition to black and white. Since black and white use index 0 and 1, and transparent uses index 255, this makes it impossible to allocate 7 planes of contiguous colors, even though 252 colors are still available.

One of the proposed workarounds is using DisableDefaultCmapTransparency.

Maybe that helps for you also...

Dietmar.

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

/usr/lib/X11/Xserver/info/screens/hp
details how to set this up correctly ... also of use if you still have problems will be the output from running "/bin/graphinfo on both systems and posting the results ?

Also out of interest are both cards configured to be using the same default visual ie both Truecolor or Pseudocolor ?
Misha Rekhson
Occasional Contributor

It was not the case of different graphics cards/patch levels - the same error was happening in a degenerate case of 1x1, i.e., one slave server.

I guess the problem was in some strange interaction of various X patches and the order of their application. Everything claimed to be at the latest patch level, yet didn't work.

I finally gave up and made clean builds, applied ACE bundles and some subsequent patches, and voila, it worked as advertised

thanks for your suggestions.
Misha Rekhson
Occasional Contributor

An Update: In the end it appears to be a bug with Visuzlie-EG as SLS/d slaves, introduced in June 01 X server patch on 10.20 (it also fails on HP-UX 11.11)

HP has duplicated the problem, and the lab is looking into it...