1756607 Members
3777 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Firewire port for Pavilion 8700

guntur
Occasional Contributor

Firewire port for Pavilion 8700

What firewire port should I get for digital video transfer to pavilion 8700 ?
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

You might want to read through:

http://www.linux1394.org/

This is a site dedicated to FireWire and Linux. It lists devices that can be used on a IEEE1394 bus, and also shows that there are kernel drivers for three sets of controllers:

Texas Instruments PCILynx
Adaptech AHA-89xx series
and OHCI-based controllers

(as seen clearly in http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=1072&group_id=2252 - 'low level drivers').
One long-haired git at your service...
guntur
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I read through the information posted the two links suggested but it was too technical for me to figure out what I would need to get for my Pavilion. I appreciate if you could post what hardware and software do I need in order to make VCD or SVCD using Sony DCR-TRV340 and Pavilion 8700 (Windows 98SE, 384 Mb RAM, 733 PIII, 40GB HD). Please do list items and possible source to purchase them from. Appreciate your help.
bonnie drake

Did u ever get the answer to this question ? I have 8756C & have tried firewaire & combo sigg usb2.0 cards NONE installed work properly. If you found a compatible card please email me at Horses7crazy@aol.com & If I find a compatible firewire card I will return the favor. Thanks
email me @ horses7crazy@aol.com if you find the answer as I have tried several cards including usb2.0 combo/firewire none of which I could get installed & working properly
bonnie drake

In case anyone encounters the difficulties I did I decided to take the time to reply. After dozens of firewire card installs/failures & NO REPONSE from Hp I finally found (thanks to fellow ebay'rs that I cound install a ADAPTEC 4300 fireconnect 1394 card in my 8756c pavillion in the lower pci slot & it was recognized & installed with ease. WOW can't believe a NOVICE like me did it all on my own. I even figured out how to crack the case & remove the power supply to gain access to the slot.
email me @ horses7crazy@aol.com if you find the answer as I have tried several cards including usb2.0 combo/firewire none of which I could get installed & working properly