3067 Online
108894 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Issue with LVM

ALe_3
Frequent Advisor

Issue with LVM

Hi all,
I am setting up a SAN area with linux machines accessing an EVA8000 and having FC2242 as HBA. The O.S. installed is RH-ES ( this is the output of uname -a command: Linux machine1 2.6.9-22.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:32:14 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux). I am trying to do some vgexport and vgimport of vg containing EVA8000 "disks" from machine1 to machine2. I present a disk on machine1 and create a volume group with this disk, then I do the vgexport and unpresent the disk on machine1. At this point I present the same disk on machine2 but it doesn't see it, so I boot the machine2 and the machine does't come up,I have to detach machine2 from EVA and perform the boot again. Can someone help me?
2 REPLIES 2
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Issue with LVM

I think that the problem could be that:

1- When you present the new disk with the machine2 up, this won't be the new disk until you use a rescan utility, like hp_rescan from fibreutils or rescan-scsi-bus.sh.

2- When you restart the machine, your disks device names changes and tha's why you cannot boot.

You should try discovering the new disks with the system up.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
ALe_3
Frequent Advisor

Re: Issue with LVM

Thanks for your suggestion.
Anyway the issue is on LVM2 in fact even if I perform a vgexport on a local disk and then reboot the machine, this doesn't come up. On the contrary using LVM1 the machine boots properly (I re-installed the machine).
I have opened a call to RedHat on this issue and they will let me know.