108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LInux advance server backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ragni Singh
Super Advisor

LInux advance server backup

Hi All, I have a couple of advance servers and we need to start doing backups for. Unfortunately we don't have a tape drive for it. What are some other possibilites that I can possibly use to backup my linux systems. I do have HP-UX but I believe doing a new make recovery is out of the questions. Thanks for your help and points will definitely be given.
3 REPLIES 3
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: LInux advance server backup

Hi,

Personally, I make a difference between backup/restore and disaster recovery.

The first one is used to retrieve files or subdirectories, but not necessarily to reconstruct the whole system.

The second one is used in case of a crash in order to rebuild the operating system from scratch.

For the first method, you need a backup utility. Most of professional backup software products use client/server architecture. Hence, you don't need the tape drive to be physically attached to the Linux servers. You can backup them via the network to a remote tape server.
Most of the following commercial products can do the job : HP OmniBack, Veritas NetBackup, Legato Networker, Arkeia...
There is also a free software named amanda, but you may need to recompile it on Hp-ux.

The second method needs a specifically designed tool, generally OS-specific (like make_recovery).
For Linux, I can suggest mondo rescue :

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

This utility can generate ISO images than can be downloaded to a remote computer and burned to a set of CD-R/RW.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
The first posting is good advice.
What i have configured on different systems :

HP-UX

HP-UX Ignite Tape ( make_recovery ) for disasters ( boot disks / VG00 which sould be mirrored anyway )

Data : backup with HP OmniBack

Specific backups with cpio or tar

Linux

Image of system burned to a CD
data backup with tar or cpio

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Stephane Audureau
Occasional Contributor

Hey ,

Just for information ,
Mondo / Mindi doesn't work properly under
woody 3.00 debian distro.
We have tested it for long time and submitted
bugs to the sourceforge team project.
Fot complete information , we uses DLT VS80 HP under LP200R HP machines for backup , we don't have tested it with a cd burned image

Cheers Stephane
Always off ....sometimes on