3265 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Omniback II Client

Werner, Markus
Occasional Contributor

Omniback II Client

Hi,

i tryed to install omniback ii v 3.5 on my linux box (SuSE 7.2 Kernel 2.4.4/2.4.10)

i can't import the box into the cellmanger(Win NT 4.0).

/etc/hosts is OK
/etc/services is OK

/etc/inetd.conf some Problems see below.

If i use the line desscribed in Installing Omniback Client Systems.
omni stream tcp nowait root /opt/omni/bin/inet inet -log /opt/omni/log/inet.log

It don't works. When I use the line
omni ... /opt/omni/bin/inet inet

The client response correct but i can't still import him.
(
Importing host lnsys001...
[12:1625] Import host failed.
System error: [10054] Connection reset by peer
)

Maybe some of you can help me

Markus
Error: Quote Of The Day is not installed
3 REPLIES 3
Ted M Johnson_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Omniback II Client

Just a few thoughts...

tftp isn't a default package; is it installed and running? What about the other network services? The only thing that is on by default is sshd, all the other "normal" network services (ftp, telnet) must be started manually. Double check xinetd.

How about file permissions? If removing the -log option helps, maybe you need to touch the file before starting, and check that the user has a 7 perm for that file.

Try removing the /etc/securetty file. Just be sure to put it back if that doesn't help :-)

These are just a few things that come to mind. Hope these help - or at least help you think of something else you might not have tried.

-ted
Werner, Markus
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I already knew that sshd is the only service :-), this is my default. No other services are installed anyway.

Now I installed inetd and rshd and have made the remote installation.

Now Omniback runs but i can't access the Mediaagent on a nother Win NT 4 server.
DNS/Hosts and so on are OK.

thanks for help.

Markus

PS
I still ask me why Omniback don't support ssh. I'm not used to use rsh.
Error: Quote Of The Day is not installed
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Now that you have installed OmniBack, you can sucessfully uninstall rsh and restore /etc/securetty. In fact, rsh is only used during the remote installation process. After that, OmniBack server and agents communicate through the TCP port 5555.

When you say DNS/hosts are OK, are you sure that name resolution returns exactly the same information on both sides ?

If you are using a domain name, be aware that machine.domain.com is not the same as machine. Therefore, the only way to make sure that name resolution is properly configured is to check the configuration on both sides :

Just one tip : on the NT media agent : if DNS is NOT used, then go to the network properties menu, check TCP/IP and DNS tab, then make sure that NO domain name is specified.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...