1754919 Members
3177 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 9.2 64-bit linux

Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Oracle 9.2 64-bit linux

I'm going to buy some 64-bit machines, and I will install Fedora 3 on them (I know that Fedora isn't certified for Oracle).
I still haven't decided for AMD64 or Intel EM64T architectures.
I'm wondering about the possibility to run the x84_64 version of Oracle with EM64T processor; I'm not sure about the binary compatibility between these two processors. Will Oracle run with EM64T? and the x86 32-bit version?

Thanks for your help.
Ciao

Claudio
3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 9.2 64-bit linux

Hi Claudio,

if you check Metalink Note:296665.1 "Pre-Install checks for 10g RDBMS on Linux AMD64/EM64T", you will see a script that has to be run before you install Oracle.
I does say that if you do not have the right version for Linux this is a showstopper.

Regarding support (from Metalink certification matrix) :
"Unbreakable Linux: Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES and SuSE.
Oracle will support Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES on any platform or driver(s) that Red Hat supports, for customers with, Standard or Premium Red Hat subscription agreement contracts. It is a requirement that the OS (binary) has not been modified. A script has been provided to Oracle Support Services to run against the customers environment in order to assure the binary has not been modified. If the binary proves to have been modified, the customer will need to support it themselves or call Red Hat for technical support. Again, OSS is supporting all versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES that Red Hat supports.
Oracle does not provide any support if products are installed on Developer's Release of an Operating System.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux : Red Hat Enterprise Linux family includes Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES and Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Oracle products are supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES ONLY. "

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Thanks Jean-Luc, but I need to know if Oracle _9.2_ x86_64 is compatible with Intel EM64T architecture or if I should use the x86 32-bit version (if it is possibile). I'm not going to buy Redhat or Suse linux, I will use Fedora.

thank you anyway.

Clauio
Oguz Kutlu  Asik
Honored Contributor

It says

----------------------------------
Linux x86-64 (AMD64) for 9.2 64bit
o Red Hat Enterprise AS/ES 3.0
2.4.21-9
o SuSE SLES8
2.4.21-185
o SuSE SLES9
9.2.0.6 Required - needed for EM64T Patch 4261532 & Patch 4233179
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
Linux AMD64,EM64T,x86-64 for 10g 64bit
o Red Hat Enterprise AS/ES 3.0 (Update 2 or higher)
2.4.21-15.EL
o SuSE SLES8 (Service Pack 3 or higher)
2.4.21-185-smp
o SuSE SLES9
2.6.5-7.97
o Asianux 1.0
requires 10.1.0.3

IBM zSeries based Linux for 10g 64bit
o SuSE SLES8 (Service Pack 3 or higher)
2.4.21-112
------------------------------------

It seems you can run 10g and 9.2 on EM64T, It's not easy to be sure though.

It's better to ask them, but again i recommend you to buy a supported linux version, especially if you are going to use it in a production environment. Otherwise, you may find yourself in the middle of an unsolved problem.
What's right is right, whether or not God exists