1755018 Members
3284 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion

Server won't boot .... HELP!!!

C Townsend
Occasional Advisor

Server won't boot .... HELP!!!

I'm using a server appliance (sa1100) and after a power-loss the server won't boot. Since this thing is WEB Based Admin, there's no root password set at install time.
I've connected a PC to the serial port to view the boot process. I see the messages "/dev/hda6 is inconsistent need to fsck manually without the -a or -p option".
I've tried to run "LINUX SINGLE" at the LILO boot prompt to change the root passwd via hyper-term but the system still request a root passwd. What can I do to run the fsck???
All views are mine, not my employers. Unless they were given to me by my employer.
1 REPLY 1
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: Server won't boot .... HELP!!!

Hello,

Normally, server appliances cannot be fixed/repaired by the customer itself. You should use your maintenance contract or your warranty to have it repaired by HP.

The password that the system asks at LILO prompt seems to be a security feature of LILO, aka "restricted". With this option in /etc/lilo.conf, in conjunction with a password, one must supply a LILO password to be able to change the LILO boot options.

If you have a boot device other than the main hard disk, try to boot on a rescue floppy or install cdrom of any Linux distribution, then do the fsck from that rescue floppy/cdrom.

Otherwise, try to guess the LILO or maintenance password. Try hplinux, hponly, linuxhp, root, hp...

But if I were you, I would first contact my HP support line before trying any other option.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...