2722 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting Up Printing

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Setting Up Printing

Hi there --

I have SUSE 9.3 Pro installed and I would like to set up, preferably, IP printing to an HP color laserjet printer.

The network is a Windows 2000 environment configured in mixed mode. The printer in question is directly attached to the network using a jet direct card. The workstation is on the same subnet as the printer, and while it does get its ip address via DHCP, it is configured to use only local accounts, /etc/passwd, as opposed to DNS.

I have tried using CUPS and TCP printing to connect to the printer, but in each case, I am prompted for a password to continue the installation of the printer. I have used the local root, local user, and as a test my domain user account and password, but have not been able to complete the installation.

What else should I try to correct this problem? Thanks.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
3 REPLIES 3
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting Up Printing

There can be passwd configured on the printer itself. Check for a passwd on the JetDirect
Sakui
Frequent Advisor

The real cause of your problem is because there is a password on the Laserjet. To prove this, telnet into the laserjet printer with the ip address,you will be prompted for a password. You have to ask the person that configured the printer.
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Hi there --

Thanks for everyone's reply. I found out what was the cause of the problem. When running the Print Manager on SUSE, I noticed there were two modes in which to run the utility: User and Administrator. Evidently, even though I was logged into the system as root, the utility had defaulted to User mode which abridges what configurations can be done on the system. Once I changed to Administrator mode, the printer was set up without further incident. Anyway, thanks for your help.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge