1753767 Members
5541 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Cert Purpose

jenny_17
Advisor

Cert Purpose

When I select a cert at the IE -> Option -> Content -> Certificate -> highlight any build in cert, the "certificate purpose" display at the bottom can be many types: e.g. for email, for server authentication etc.
For those cert signed by the CA created by myself (e.g. MS Cert Server), the "certificate purpose" is "All". How to configurate the certicate purpose while generate the cert ?
Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
Craig Roberts_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cert Purpose

Hey, Jenny,

You didn't state which version of Windows you use, but I see from a previous post ("Windows 2000 ntbackup", Aug 29, 2004) that you were apparently using Windows 2000 then.

So, having said that, here is an article from Microsoft about Certificates in Windows 2000: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/eucertsteps.asp

If you're on XP, I think it's a little different. To manage certificates for a service, try:
1. Log on to the system as an administrator.
2. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
3. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then click Add.
4. Under Snap-in, double-click Certificates, click Service account, and then click Next.
5. Do one of the following:
o To manage certificates for services on your local computer, click Local computer, and then click Next.
o To manage certificates for a remote computer, click Another computer and type the name of the computer, or click Browse to select the computer name, and then click Next.
6. Click the service for which you are managing certificates.
7. Click Finish, and then click Close.
Certificates â Service (Service Name) on Computer Name appears on the list of selected snap-ins for the new console.
8. If you have no more snap-ins to add to the console, click OK.
9. To save this console, on the File menu, click Save.

Notes
- To manage certificates for a service on another computer, you can either create another instance of Certificates in the console or right-click Certificates â Service (Service Name) on Computer Name and click Connect to Another Computer.
- For additional help creating and using MMC consoles, click Help Topics on the Help menu.

Let us know if these help.

Good luck,

C