108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Right Click Menu Slow

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

Right Click Menu Slow

I Recently Installed Norton Antivirus 2003 And Ever Since Then When I Right Click On A File Or Folder Or Highlight A File And Hit The Delete Key It Takes About 10 To 15 Seconds For The Menu To Come Up. I’ve Tried Numerous Things But Cant Seem To Get It Right. It Worked Fine Just Before The Norton Install So I’m Figuring That Is The Problem. Also It Took Forever When I Tried To Open A Word Document, But I Turned Off The Office Plug-in In Norton’s Options So That’s Fixed. I’ve Read Numerous Things About This But No Solution Yet.

Thanks In
7 REPLIES 7
Pat
Honored Contributor

Re: Right Click Menu Slow

Michael,

Norton slows performance considerably. I made a change in my registry and have noticed menus appear faster.

Backup Registry before performing these changes.

Backup
Start>Run>Regedit
Click on File
Click on Export
In Name Box type in a name for the backup file (RegBackup)
Under the Export Range click All
Click on Save

To load applications faster:

On the Shortcut Icon (if you don't have one, go into program files, locate the application Icon and right click to send shortcut to desktop)

Right click the shortcut item and click properties.

In the target field you will have it pointing to the location of the application. For Example it will say "C:\Program Files\Washer\washer.exe"

Add /prefetch:1 right after the last " marks in the target field. So you will have something that looks like this..

"C:\Program Files\Washer\washer.exe" /prefetch:1

The application will start up quicker. For some applications like Kazaa Lite and some other 3rd party applicatins, this tweak will not work. You will get an error message if it doesn't work properly. If you get the error, just simply remove the /prefetch:1 from the target field of the shortcut and the original shortcut will work fine again.

Restart Computer

Speed up Start Menu

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop/

On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

"MenuShowDelay"=0

Close the registry editor.

Another easy way to speed up the display of the Start Menu Items is to turn off the menu shadow:

Right click on an open area of the Desktop.

Select Properties.

Click on the Appearance tab.

Click on the Effects button.

Uncheck Show shadows under menus.

Restart Computer

Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance(XP Click System)
Click the Advanced tab, and under Performance Click the Settings button
Clear the Fade or slide menus into view check box and then click OK. Now when you bring up a collapsed menu, it will expand without delay

You can de-select more of the options listed since they use resources.

Pat
Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

I Knew About Loading Applications Faster I Have Done The Key Value And Took Off Effects
I Have 512 Ram I Should Be Good Performance Wise The Only Problem Is It Is Slow Loading The Right Click Menu. Every Time I Right Click A File Or Folder Zone Alarm Is Connecting To The Internet. The Only Programs Running When I Do It Are:

Common Client CC App
Services and Controller app
Spooler SubSystem App

Thanks In Advance
Pat
Honored Contributor

After performing the steps I gave you, the right click menu should speed up.

Have you used Tweak UI? If you click on Mouse, you can move the menu speed to the left which is the fastest setting.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Are you using the free version of ZoneAlarm? If so, there are others that work better and are free for personal use.

Pat

Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,
My advice? dump Norton! I find it an immense pain in all quarters!
Or just live with it till the renewal time comes.. then Don't!
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

Sorry, meant to add to that mini tirade, you might uninstall.. see if that resolves your problem..

Good luck .. Omar
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

There was a known issue about the right click problem, that had been resolved with an update from Symantec, but I doubt that they would still have the update available on their web site.

http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

Symantec's stance, is to upgrade to the current version. :-(

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Pat
Honored Contributor
Solution

Michael,

You can edit the right click but I haven't looked for any of the options given on the page. You can limit the amount of items in the menu as well as add or delete others. It's your preference.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Hope this helps.

Pat