Operating System - Microsoft
1752613 Members
4689 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: W2K8 sysprep on Intel and AMD based servers.

Michael K. Hansen

W2K8 sysprep on Intel and AMD based servers.

I am building a Windows 2008 image, but I have a problem with sysprep which I am seeking help for.

Building the source image works fine, and the Windows 2008 is running fine on the "source" server. No errors to see anywhere, and the HP PSP is not installed (required).

The image is created (and sysprepped) on a BL465c G5, and needs to be deployed on both AMD and Intel based Proliant servers (VMware based virtual servers as well, if possible). The image is captured and deployed using the WAIK toolkit.

The image can deploy and boot on AMD machines, Intel machines and virtual machines (VMware ESX 3.5.x latest).

The problem comes when trying to install the Proliant Support Pack (PSP) on the Intel based servers. This effectively/consistently crashes the machines with a good old blue-screen, and does not work until booted in safe mode without the HP PSP.
On AMD based servers it works without any issue at all, even with PSP installed.
On the Vmware machines the PSP is not installed, so there is no problem.

Does anyone have ideas why this does not work, how it can be resolved or any other things to try?

Best regards,
Michael
4 REPLIES 4
shocko
Honored Contributor

That is strange. Couple of questions:

1) What version of PSP are you insatlling
2) Is the version of PSP later than the base RAID drivers installed in the image?
3) is the detect HAL option set in the boot configuration?

When you boot up in safe mode, what driver does it stop at loading? Have you analysed the crash dumo using the debugger to see what driver is crashing it?

detecthal is neccessary if the image is to be used on multiprocessor machines
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Michael K. Hansen

Hi

The reason for the problem seems to be a minor HW error, which the PSP triggers.

On other machines with the same HW is works without problems.

Enjoy the holidays.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael:

What was the STOP code?

Make a great 2010

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Michael K. Hansen

Happy new year!

Unfortunately I do not have the STOP code anymore, as we quickly moved on to another machine (where it worked).