Operating System - Microsoft
1752608 Members
4153 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows XP error message "operation identifier is not valid"??

Brian Seidenschmidt

Windows XP error message "operation identifier is not valid"??

windows xp scanner & camera wizard gives this error message when trying to take my pictures off kodak dc210 camera. Reinstalled software, drivers up to date, Kodak says all is compatible but they don't know what error message is. Windows XP is an upgrade from Windows ME that came with hp pavilion n5470. All was well when running ME with camera. Any help appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
steve mcwilliams

Re: Windows XP error message "operation identifier is not valid"??

did you ever find a solution? I have the same problem exactly. Please help if you can.
DALE KING
Regular Advisor

Is this a USB camera or what?
DALE KING
Regular Advisor

You might try this suggestion out at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300462
Here is part of the document:

Symptoms
Some programs (that are supplied by hardware manufacturers) that support imaging devices, such as, scanners and cameras, may not work when you upgrade your computer to Windows XP and use Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) drivers.
Cause
This problem can occur because the operating systems that existed before Windows XP do not have any signed WIA drivers that are related to still imaging devices. When Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Microsoft Windows 2000 is upgraded to Windows XP, the technology without an interesting name (TWAIN) drivers that had been previously installed are removed because WIA drivers are available.

NOTE: The TWAIN drivers are produced by independent hardware vendors (IHVs). TWAIN is an image capture application programming interface (API) that is used by Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh operating systems. WIA drivers are signed drivers that enable the automatic detection and installation of still imaging devices.
Resolution
To work around this problem, remove the WIA driver and reinstall the IHV driver as the WIA drivers can provide less features than the previously installed IHV drivers. To return to the full functionality that is provided by third-party programs that are available when you use IHV drivers you must:
Remove the program.
Remove the WIA driver by using Device Manager.
Install the IHV driver by using Device Manager.
Reinstall the program.

I don't know if this will help or not but its worth checking out