Operating System - OpenVMS
1752795 Members
6068 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Auto_action value ignored when INIT typed on console

Larry E. Taylor

Auto_action value ignored when INIT typed on console

ES45,OpenVMS 7.3-2, I have Auto_Action set to BOOT. Bootdef_device set to DGA device in MSA1000. If I power cycle the ES45 or press the RESET button on the front panel the ES45 boots normally without stopping at the console prompt. I have tried Auto_Action set to BOOT or RESTART. My problem is when I enter the INIT command at the console the ES45 HALTS at the console prompt, just as if I had auto_action set to HALT. My other Alpha (AS4100) works as it should, enter INIT and it boots after init finishes. I have tried 3 versions of firmware, no change. Also tried booting internal DKA disk in ES45
6 REPLIES 6
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Auto_action value ignored when INIT typed on console

Larry,

I don't have an ES45 handy to try...

But the Alpha ES45 owner guide says:

5.14.1 auto_action
The auto_action environment variable specifies the action the console
takes any time the system powers up, fails, or resets. The value of
auto_action takes effect only after you reset the system by pressing the
Reset button or by issuing the init command.

So the behaviour you're seeing does not seem to be correct. Open a call with HP.

Volker.
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

I'd disagree with Volker on this one. I think you're seeing the correct behaviour and that the documentation is actually wrong.
I've seen a number of ES45s and '47s and, if your system is init'ed rather than power cycled, I'd expect them to return to chevrons rather than boot.

Steve
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

I agree with Steve. Think about the purpose of the init command. Is it supposed to be a command line version of a power cycle, or is it just supposed to reset the hardware to a known state? I think the latter.

Consider, if init resets the hardware and initiates the auto action, then there is no way to reset the hardware *without* booting. If you're entering commands you can init, then boot, making it possible to perform both functions without having to implement another command.

Please make a formal report of the behaviour and let the HP language lawyers work out what should happen, then they can fix either the ES45 or the AS4100 firmware...
A crucible of informative mistakes
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

My convenient XP1000 boots (from DKA0) after
"init". Its auto_action is RESTART. I make
no claims about which behavior is correct (or
even preferable).
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

I also agree with Steve here. I've a large number of ES45's and they all return to chevron prompt afer an INIT. All at 7.3 f/w rev.

Regards
John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

I thought the init command was to initialize/save the values of the enviroment variables. I never remember any system doing an auto_action command after issuing and init - multiple different alpha systems.