7518 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Emulator/Simulator for IA64

Sumant M Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Emulator/Simulator for IA64

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is any simulator or Emulator we have for IA64 like personal Alpha for Alpha hardware.We can install OpenVMS on personal alpha and it emulates DEC3000 hardware.

Regards,
Sumant
11 REPLIES 11
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Emulator/Simulator for IA64

Sumnat,

AFAIK no such thing exists yet.

Emulators are typically built for older and - in some cases - slower hardware, like VAX and Alpha for running OpenVMS.

You can still buy and get support for I64 systems. Why would you want an emulator ?

Volker.
Heuser-Hofmann
Frequent Advisor

If you have a DSPP-account you'll find a
"Itanium processor Linux simulator",
but the link directs you to a invalid link.

Eberhard
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Sumant,

looks like there was some IA64 simulator in the year 2000 - to help programmers start with Itanium. It seems to be have been released as Opensource in 2007:

http://ski.sourceforge.net/

But I'd doubt, that you will be able to run OpenVMS on such a thing.

Volker.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

FWIW, a Google Search for /Itanium Emulator/ or other such gets you to various articles and discussions on this topic. There are (potentially) some (commercial) options here, but I'd be willing to bet they're more than the US$500 or so that gets you a (decent) (used) Itanium box that can boot and run OpenVMS I64.
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

PersonalAlpha was a by-product of CHARON-AXP product development. Stromasys (the developer) decided to release PersonalAlpha to the VMS community to raise visibility. In turn, they get a world-wide community of beta testers.

More recently, they've released an ES40 emulator that runs on Linux, with up to 4 processors:

http://www.stromasys.com/downloads/alpha-virtualization/charon-axp-nce/

I agree with Hoff -- you can pick up cheap Itanium boxes very easily. rx2600 Integrity servers were selling on eBay a few months ago for a song.

What problem are you *really* trying to solve?

[Shameless Plug Alert (tm) -- I am a CHARON-AXP reseller]
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
Sumant M Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Morning Stanley,

Actually i am intrested to learn clustering & TCPIP on Alpha/Itanium so for that i asked if there is any emulator available in the market.I tried tcpip on Personal Alpha it seems it does not support n/w.I am unable to connect 2 PA in one n/w and not able to setup clustering.We can only create bridge n/w in PA.I can't do my all testing on customer systems since they all critical.

Regards,
Sumant
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Sumant:

You should be able to network and therefore do NI Clustering with PersonalAlpha. It does support networking. I do not understand your most recent post.

There is an issue, though. It sounds like you are trying to do "business" with PersonalAlpha which is intended for Hobbyist/Educational work. You can request demonstration systems from Stromasys or a reseller/agent which are real, full versioned systems, they have licensing based on hardware keys which will expire. This would then allow you to demonstrate using production quality emulation versus the restricted emulation of PersonalAlpha. It would allow you an Alpha to Alpha environment.

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
Sumant M Kumar
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill,

Trust me i asked you PA just for non commercial purpose.I never get a chance in any organization to configure cluster and tcpip so i am curious to learn those.
Someone advised me about PA so i put a question here but i dont have much idea how to setup NI & Cluster on PA.

Just another question Bill

Can we get free license for virtual media when i tried to configure my laptop drive as virtual media to install vms on one of our integrity nodes its showing "Feature not Licensed" on ILO(browser).

Regards,
Sumant
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Sumant,

for learning how to set up TCPIP and clustering, you don't need an Itanium box. OpenVMS is OpenVMS is OpenVMS and the commands are the SAME between OpenVMS VAX, OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64.

There is also extensive documentation on all this available from:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/index.html

PersonalAlpha can do clustering and TCPIP without any problems. It will share it's network card with the Windows network card. To set up a cluster between 2 PersonalAlpha systems, you may want to run them on 2 different Windows systems. Or run the new CHARON ES40 NCE version on a Linux system and cluster it with PersonalAlpha.

Volker.