4387 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Freeware FILES_INFO

HDS
Frequent Advisor

Freeware FILES_INFO

Hello.

I have made great usage of the VMS Freeware utility FILES_INFO over the last couple of years. With recent migration plans to move towards Itanium, I was wondering if there was a similar utility available under I64.

Does anyone know of any? Is there a version of FILES_INFO that runs on Itanium, OpenVMS V8.3 ?

Please advise.

-H-
2 REPLIES 2
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Freeware FILES_INFO

And what might you be doing with the Freeware utility FILES_INFO? Looking at open files?

And there are various SDA tools that can be pressed into service, too.

Something akin to the following is the classic brute-force approach:

$ PIPE SHOW DEVICE/FILE ddcu: | SEARCH SYS$PIPE file

As for the availability of the FILES_INFO tool, the source code and an Alpha build procedure is here:

http://mvb.saic.com/freeware/freewarev80/files_info/freeware_readme.txt

And given the code has already made it across to OpenVMS Alpha, porting it to OpenVMS I64 will likely be simple. When you get it ported over, do contribute it back out.

HDS
Frequent Advisor

Re: Freeware FILES_INFO

Hello.

Well, unfortunately, I am not in a position to port that code...as much as I would like to do so.

As it happens, management might be arranging for such a project to be developed OR may seek outside assistance.

If I do manage to obtain a functional Itanium supported version, and I am permitted to post it, I will certainly do so. Such would be the least that I could do considering the amount that others have provided to me.

-H-