1755433 Members
3255 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it possible?

St.wing
Advisor

Is it possible?

Currently, there are two pieces of ether net cards A and B on my DS25.I set them with different IP adress in my system disk respectively,which are 129.26.64.1 and 10.10.10.1.Then I take out this system disk and mount another system disk.Several days later,I mount the first system disk again.Is it possible that the two IP adress will exchange on the two ether net cards? Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Of course, Everything is possible :-)

However the interfaces in tcpip are tied to the ethnernet device names as seen by VMS (EWA0, EWBA or whatever) so unless they have swapped around because something changed then its unlikley.

Whats the real problem?

Because I don't believe to weird hidden wizard I suppose there was stored other IP addresses on 1.st system disk.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Douglas Buxton
Advisor

It is possible if the first e-net card becomes a different type. I.e. EIA0 vs EWA0. We swapped an ES45 to and ES40, same disks, same cards, but the Gig E-net card became and EIA0 instead of EWB0. EI became the first E-net device, so the IP addresses switched.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

If you don't swap cards, there cannot be changed in adresses. VMS holds the IPadresses at cardlevel. So only EIA0, EIB0, EWA0 etc. are configured. If you have only EIA0 and a EWA0 card you can even easialy change the cards in the slots. This results the same. The change of the harddisk cannot change anything in the configuration. I've done it so much. The only problem whe had in the early days, the VAXstation varies a lot of networktypecards. So when copying systemdisks and configuring demo's the network must change. We used in those days only DECNet (ofcourse ...., the only secure way of computing)

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with many here, i think we would need to change the ethernet cards for this to happen

rgds
Mobeen
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

St. Wing,
If you would tell us any particular reason why you are exploring this, then i am sure the folks here will lay out a lot of approaches for you to choose from :)

bye
Mobeen
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

It could be that certain TCP files were placed off the system disk. In that case it could be possible that "strange things" happen.

Check the logicals tcp* for files/directories not on the system disk.

Wim
Wim