Operating System - OpenVMS
1755699 Members
3186 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems to install Availability Manager V2.4-1 Data Analyzer under OpenVMS 7.3-1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rudolf Wingert
Frequent Advisor

Problems to install Availability Manager V2.4-1 Data Analyzer under OpenVMS 7.3-1

Hello, there is no information within the installation guide how to install only the Data Analyzer. Is it recommanded to remove the AVAIL_MAN product, when I install only the Data Analyzer? Is it right, that the Data Analyzer for the Alpha is not an executable? (Page 5 item 5: save the executables; item 6: run one of the executables)
6 REPLIES 6
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems to install Availability Manager V2.4-1 Data Analyzer under OpenVMS 7.3-1

After the download you run the file, it's a self extracting zip. This creates a ".pcsi" file which is installed with

$ product install AVAIL_MAN_ANA

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rudolf,

you need the data collector kit to be installed BEFORE the data analyzer kit (see bottom of page 1 of the Availman V2.4-1 OpenVMS installation PDF guide).

If you have a previous AVAIL_MAN kit installed, remove it (see chapter 2.2.3)

Consider to install any OpenVMS patches as required by JAVA and the current PCSI patch kit.

The AVAIL_MAN_COL and AVAIL_MAN_ANA kits come as self-expanding .PCSI_DCX_AXPEXE kits, you need to run them to obtain the .PCSI files to be used with PRODUCT INSTALL.

The Availability Manager data analyzer is a JAVA application. Make sure you have enough memory and pagefile quota and a 'powerful' Alpha system to run it. Or think again about installing it on a Windows system.

Volker.
Rudolf Wingert
Frequent Advisor

Hello,
the AVAIL_MAN_ANA comes not as self extracting file. When I executed the run, I got the message, that the file is not an image.
If I read the the remarks on the download WEBpage right, there is no need to install the collector every time when you install the Analyzer: "The Data Collector kit can be released only (!) when RMDRIVER and its related files change, which occurs less often than changes in the Data Analyzer. This will require fewer reboots over time." (Item three within the Reason for the reorganization part) So I asked for the necessity of removing of AVAIL_MAN. I hope you will understand my quesation right (in case of my bad english).
Thanks in advance Rudolf Wingert
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rudolf,

sorry, you're right. The AVAIL_MAN_ANA kit comes as a .PCSI$COMPRESSED kit:

HP-AXPVMS-Avail_Man_Ana-V0204-1-1.PCSI$COMPRESSED

As you didn't tell, which version of AVAIL_MAN you currently have installed on your system, I suggested to remove that kit. This is REQUIRED, if your AVAIL_MAN kit is less than V2.4 (see chapter 2.3.3), if the installed version of AVAIL_MAN is V2.4 or higher, this step is optional.

Hope this has clarified the situation.

Volker.
Rudolf Wingert
Frequent Advisor

Hello Volker,
our AVAIL_MAN version is 2.2. So Ihave to remove them. If I do so, must (!) I install the whole AVAIL_MAN kit, or can I install the AVAIL_MAN_ANA kit only?
Thanks in advance Rudolf Wingert
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rudolf,

according to the table in Chapter 1 Introduction:

If you want to:

Analyze data that has been collected,
Install both of the following on one or more nodes:

- For OpenVMS, install kits in the following order:
1. The Data Collector kit on one Alpha OpenVMS Version 7.2-2 or later node
2. The Data Analyzer kit

- For Windows, install the Windows kit (which contains both the Data Collector and the Data Analyzer software)

If you were running AVAIL_MAN V2.2 and have removed it, you would first need to install AVAIL_MAN_COL V2.4 and then AVAIL_MAN_COL V2.4-1 (see item 3 in chapter 2.2.3). If you have installed a new version of AVAIL_MAN_COL (and have been using a previous version before), you must also REBOOT to use the new SYS$RMDRIVER (see note at bottom of chapter 4.3).

You might want to consider installing AVAIL_MAN on Windows to be able to try to use Availability Manager until you can do the installations and reboot on your OpenVMS systems.

Volker.