2936 Online
108866 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Satellite booting

Deepak kumar_3
Frequent Advisor

Satellite booting

Hi,

I want 2 node cluster with shared system disk which is on subsystem.I have installed the OS VMS7.3-1 on it and i am able to boot one of the system with it.upto here i didn't face any problem.
Now i want to boot second node through stalite boot and i have given command on second node
>> boot eia0
its coming out with error boot flags failed.

where i am going wrong please guide me.

Thanks
Deepak
9 REPLIES 9
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Satellite booting

Hi Deepak,

Have you ran cluster_config*.com ? Before booting a satellite node, you need to run above command procedure to add a satellite node. There are some more steps too. Read the manual before configuring satellite node.

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Deepak kumar_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Lokesh,

Yes i have ran the cluster_config on other node its jumping to boot strap also after that its giving Network initial system load function with some option if i am giving the option 3 after that 2 it asking enter service name here i am entering ALPHA_V731. Its telling servie not found.

Deepak
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Deepak,

Here are some reference documentation for you for troubleshooting.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4477/4477pro_005.html#decnet_map
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4477/4477pro_024.html#general_trouble_sect
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4477/4477pro_024.html#satellite_trouble_sect

HTH,
Thanks & regards,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

What are the bootflags on the Alpha ?
Normaly these are ignored on a satelite (without the flag after the ',').

Did you do the CLUSTER_CONFIG ?
Next: what is you're interconnect. Did you setup MOP correctly. Are using LANCP/MOP or DECNet/MOP.
$ MC LANCP
LANCP> SHOW DEVICE/DLL
Device State Access Mode Client Data Size
EIA0 Enabled NoExclusive NoKnownClientsOnly 246 Bytes

Is the serving node setup as BOOTSERVER ?
$ MC SYSGEN
SYSGEN> show/cluster
ALLOCLASS ?
NISCS_LOAD_PEA0 1
MSCP_LOAD 1
MSCP_SERVER_ALL 1

Is the network serving SCS and MOP ? Think about bridges, routers etc.

And what are the error messages (Console and on server) ?

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Amit Levin_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Deepack, plaese give me some more details:
for both systems:
scsnodename, scssystemid, votes, expected_votes, qdskvotes....
in short - mc sysgen show /cluster
on ***BOTH*** systems.
it is also important to review the console level boot parameters: p00>>>show boot*
what are the machines you are using? how are they connected between them?
what is the storage subsystem? what is the cluster interconnect?
Deepak kumar_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I am able to boot only one node satellite node is not coming up so i can't give the
cluster parameter of satellite node.Tell me one thing before booting satellite node i have to set some flag or directly i can give
>>boot eia0

here only its hanging with message
trying mop.....

And system disk type HSG80 and its
connected through SAN switch.And it is
visible on satellite node also.

Deepak
Helmut Ammer
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

why are you booting the second node as satellite??
Both systems have direct connection to the system disk (FC disk on HSG)!

Only boot the second system directly from the physical disk. Don't forget to set boot flags for system root and configure your system disk on the console using WWIDMGR.

Regards
Helmut
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Helmut 'why are you booting the second node as satellite??'

We in our multisite cluster also boot all the nodes in as a satelite. Why ? Because this is the only way how you can tell you are booting from the right systemdisk. Normaly if you have a multisite environment and everything on every site is multiple (!!) it is possible a drive isn't mounted. If this is one of your systemdisks and you are booting from it, when the system comes up it automaticly crashes because the systemdrive isn't a member of the current systemdisk.

Deepak
You're sure you included the right mac adresses in LAN/MOP or DECNET/MOP. You must enable $ REPLY/ENABLE and make sure you have broadcast enabled (on the running node). If the node tries to boot in you must get a message of receiving the MOP request. If not, try to connect both nodes directly on the ethernet device using a X-cable. Don't forget: you are booting over the ethernet and not over the HBA's (SAN interconnect).
Getting the message Trying MOP ... looks like no correct MAC adresses or wrong cable/network. If routers are between, they can stop SCS traffic. If so, this won't work. If the wrong MAC adresses are in the MOP requester, you won't get any message on the terminal where you did REPLY/ENABLE.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Deepak kumar_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi All,

Thank u very much all of u for suggestion.I found the culprit,it was ethernet card. this i came to know after enable the opcom ie enable/network.I replaced this card and every thing went fine.

Regards
Deepak