1758657 Members
2357 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sent folder in VMSMAIL?

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Sent folder in VMSMAIL?

I ran into a (minor) problem with VMS Mail.

When I want to keep a copy of a message sent, I can specify enable COPY_SELF. However, this places the copy in NEW_MAIL - and when I have a SENT folder, I have to copy that to this folder manually.

I _think_ this behaviour has been different in some past. I do have a SENT folder from the beginning, and when I (re)started using VMS, I used MAIL as well (to send mail) and there is a message in that folder, and I cannot remember do have put it there manually (too much hussle).

Just curious, though. Normally, my VMS machine will be accessed using mail clients (POP, IMAP) so I'm not too concerned about this matter. Anyone able to shine a light?

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
3 REPLIES 3
├Еge R├╕nning
Trusted Contributor

Re: Sent folder in VMSMAIL?

I believe this is expected behavior. The MAIL and NEWMAIL folder is the folders created for you. I've been using VMSMAIL since the 80's and I have no SENT folder. Could it be you've just forgotten that you once upon a time created that folder?
VMS Forever
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

If there is a way to have an automatic Sent folder then hp managed to slip that by me ;-)

I certainly would vote for this as a good improvement to Mail !

One way you might have got such a folder without explicitly creating it, is that one of the POP/IMAP clients might have created "under the hood" for you.E.g. Mozilla creates a Trash folder in addition to the standard WASTEBASKET
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Martin, you could well be right. Now I think of it, it _could_ have been "seen" (by "wihfull thinking?) by the package I use to access my mail via a webbrowser. There was info in it. Later on, I created this folder within VMSMAIL...

Hopefully it has slipped the attention of HPS - so it will be there in the next version (or is that "wishful thinking" as well) (however, as said, I can live with the current behaviour).
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager