108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS Cluster Console

SOLVED
Go to solution
PAUL FARINELLI
Advisor

VMS Cluster Console

Does VMS Cluster Console run on Integrity rx6600 with OVMS 8.3?
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor
Solution

Paul,

If you are referring to the console manager application that was OEM'd from TDI (Consoleworks), then yes TDI has ported Consoleworks to OVMS I64. TDI did have a license trade -in program at one time. TDI's website url: http://www.tditx.com

Bill
Bill Hall
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'm not aware of a VAXcluster Console (VCS) port to OpenVMS I64, though VCS running elsewhere can likely connect into the box.

Most (all?) Integrity rx6600 series servers include a management processor (MP), which provides more advanced capabilities than does VCS.

As for VCS and options, there's certainly the TDi console software, and that and various other remote console packages are referenced in the OpenVMS FAQ:

http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq

Download the text or PDF version of the FAQ, and run a local search for the console section.
Jim Geier_1
Regular Advisor

@Hoff wrote:
I'm not aware of a VAXcluster Console (VCS) port to OpenVMS I64, though VCS running elsewhere can likely connect into the box.

Most (all?) Integrity rx6600 series servers include a management processor (MP), which provides more advanced capabilities than does VCS.

As for VCS and options, there's certainly the TDi console software, and that and various other remote console packages are referenced in the OpenVMS FAQ:

http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq

Download the text or PDF version of the FAQ, and run a local search for the console section.

The old VAXcluster Console Product (VCS) was renamed the Polycenter Console Manager while it was still owned by Digital Equipment Corp. Later that product along with several others (DEC Scheduler, Performance Advisor, and others) was sold to Computer Associates. After several name changes, the recent and current versions of the Console Manager do run on OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS I64. While I was skeptical about the product's futures, CA has done a good job of updating and maintaining the Scheduler and Console Manager products on OpenVMS.

--jim geier--

Rudy_De_Keyser
Advisor

Also don't forget Cockpit manager (available on alpha and ia64) from our friend Johan Michiels which has all functionality of the above mentioned CA products including console manager.

Regards,

Rudy

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Lets go a step further with regard to the transition from VCS to PolyCenter Console Manager...  The latter was almost a complete rewrite with enhancements and improvements in functionality...with the single possible difference being that at the same time changes were made to LAT functionality that led to the inability to monitor the connections by checking modem signals between terminal servers and system consoles.  You could still use those crazy RS232 to fiber adapters to provide electonic isolation.  PCM had some nicer interfaces and the current product has been enhanced even turther.

PCM retained the ability to use physical ports but I was usually implementing with terminal servers so I never checked to see if you could still use modem signals to detect cable disconnects.  That was the main thing that I felt was lost with the PCM implementation using LAT but because it was more a change to LAT itself I can't blame Console Manager.

bob

Ranger1
Occasional Contributor

If you have an rx6600 then you also have an iLo port.  If you set up the iLo port correctly then you can access the console remotely.