Operating System - OpenVMS
1753665 Members
5691 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: When will Availability Manager V3.0 be released?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Boogaard
Frequent Advisor

When will Availability Manager V3.0 be released?

Hi all,

When will Availability Manager V3.0 be released? Anyone knows or heard news? Its already long in field test now?

8 REPLIES 8
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/roadmap/openvms_roadmaps_files/openvms_roadmaps.ppt#853,27,Tools Integrated with OpenVMS

About now ... and before end of year.

Wim
Wim
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

It IS long in field test and it really looks a lot better than its predecessors.

With OpenVMS V8.3-1H1, AM V3.0 is distributed (AFAIK).

Unfortunately, there is no date for an Alpha kit that I know of.

Barry, can you please let us know something?

Bart Zorn
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I have emailed the man who knows and await a reply. There is a V3 kit for VMS I64 on the DVD.

I have received an answer and what I say is 'as soon as possible'. Look out for the kit within the next few months.

Apparently the new AM is well worth waiting for :-)

Look out for the kit within the next few months. It will be out as soon as possible.

Apparently the new AM is well worth waiting for
Solution

Hello!

I finally got in to ITRC, said the service was unavailable. I've been working on a session and demo for the HP Integrity Users Conference in Richardson, Texas for Feb 20th and 21st. If you are going, look me up.
Now, for AM. I am working on finishing up AM V3.0-2. This kit will go on the web. There are some I64 kits on OpenVMS media, like OpenVMS V8.3-1H1. I didn't put them on the web as I was working on some edge conditions that field testers were giving me to fix, and didn't think that updating AM in a month or so timeframe would be a good idea. Like any .0 release, incorporating WAN support was a large effort, which showed some bugs and some assumptions about data collections that are no longer valid. Fixing these to make a solid release. Also, since this was the first beta for AM done in a long time, the testers found many other nits that really needed fixing. The beta testing stages should be done soon, and the final release created, tested and released.
In case you all are wondering, I've been making Windows, Alpha and I64 kits for the AM V3.x versions, like AM V2.6. The only reason that none of the Alpha kits haven't been seen is that there is no Alpha-related media that has been produced, like an OpenVMS release, etc.
Sorry the wait has been long. I'll be posting here, comp.os.vms and openvms.org when the release is on the web. In the meantime, anyone interested in WAN support needs to consider what system the Data Server, a new component, will run on. This also is a Java application (shares much code with the Data Analyzer. Code reuse, actually worked outside of a computer science class ;-), and will run on any platform the Data Analyzer runs on (x86, Alpha and I64). This system needs to be on the same LAN as your OpenVMS systems, and should not be part of your cluster. If you run the Data Server on a node in the cluster, and the cluster hangs, so does the Data Server... The Data Server doesn't take up many resources, about 30-50MB for smaller sites, and little CPU time. I have it running on a 5 year old PC, and it takes little of its CPU time.
The data connection between the Data Server and Data Analyzer is encrypted, and the connection uses Kerberos public/private keys. The Data Server can support more than one Data Analyzers, and vice versa.
Hope this information helps.

Barry Kierstein
Availability Manager project leader
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Barry,

this is good news, thanks for your efforts.
I ran V3.0 beta for some time (found it accidentally on the VMS fieldtest kit site) and the WAN support really is good stuff we long waited for.

regards Kalle
Jan van den Boogaard
Frequent Advisor

Barry, thanks a lot for your feedback !

We're looking forward to put AM V3.0 on our Alpha clusters!