ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754377 Members
2917 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE Smart Array P420 Controller Status: Failed!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frenky-77
Advisor

HPE Smart Array P420 Controller Status: Failed!

Hi

I have a ProLiant DL160 Gen8 that is running without problems since a few years.

Now the Health LED on the server started to blink red, I checked on my ILO 4 (iLO Firmware Version: 2.50 Sep 23 2016) and I found the System Health: Critical.

I have a HPE Smart Array P420 Controller.

On Storage Information I found Controller Status: Failed.

Checking on the Smart Storage Administrator software on my Windows server 2016 Essentials I didn't find anything wrong.

I found this old discussion on this forum.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/server-management-remote-server/ilo-4-storage-controller-error/td-p/5854101

I really have the identical issue and it seems to be solved: it says to go there.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04222879

The problem is that my HPE Smart Array P420 Controller firmware version is updated because it's the 8.32!

Clicking on the link for Windows systems I found that the 8.32 is the latest.

Should I have to downgrade the firmware to an older version?

Why the problem started after some years?

10X a lot!

4 REPLIES 4
thutchings
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: HPE Smart Array P420 Controller Status: Failed!

Hello,

The advisory indicates that it is not specifically a controller issue at fault. The problem is related to the iLO being unable to properly communicate with the controller. What firmware version is on the iLO? It is possible that running the newer firmware on the SA controller, but an older version on the iLO could result in this. Also, I would also see if resetting the iLO corrects the problem. You can do this by going to the diagnostics section and selecting to reset the iLO.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Frenky-77
Advisor

iLO Firmware Version: 2.50 Sep 23 2016

I restarted the system and the issue disapperaed.

iLO firmware is older than HPE Smart Array P420 Controller firmware that is nov 2 2017.

Is this the problem?

thutchings
HPE Pro

Hello,

I cannot state that it is definitely the problem, but it certainly could be. I would not recommend a system be run with firmware that is not consistent "across the board". As a general rule, the best option is to make sure they match across the same SPP, so that everything can communicate correctly with each other.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Frenky-77,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo