1753470 Members
5101 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating Data to new server

Craig_156
Occasional Contributor

Migrating Data to new server

I just bought a HP Proliant ML110 G2 server and am going to be migrating the data/filesytem and applications from my old server to the new server. Any suggestions on accomplishing this? software? thx
4 REPLIES 4
CA1036363
Frequent Advisor

Re: Migrating Data to new server

Craig,

This is way too little information.

What are you migrating (Application)?
Does it involve a database? if so which one?
What is the OS and version?
What kind of backup software & hardware do you have?

You get the idea...
Craig_156
Occasional Contributor

Ive installed the same OS-MICROSOFT AVANCED SERVER 2000
I have a Invioce Mangement SW that uses ACCESS as well as another SW using ACCESS which we want to move as well.
We currently backup our data to an offsite backup company.(filelevel)

Im was hoping to find a SW or utility that could clone my drive on the old server and move it to the new...
CA1036363
Frequent Advisor

Craig,

There are several ways to migrate to the new server. Some work better than others but be sure to migrate and test completely before eradicating the data and app from the old server.

There are some disk utilities that will let you clone the data on the old disk to the new disk. However, this is primarily a disk upgrade tool. If you a moving to a completely new server hardware, this may not work. I would not recommend this.

A perferered method is to do a new and clean install of the OS. Then do a new and clean install of the database (Access) and any other applications. I realize this seems like a lot of work but it's the best way to guarantee the integrity.

The last step would be to migrate the data. If the application versions and the directories are the same you should be able to do a restore of the files from the backup.

Another method would be to copy the data from the old server to the new via the network.

Good Luck!
CA1248225
Advisor

Your best bet is as follows.
We used these steps to move a terrible Intel server onto our new DL380.

Get a USB HDD, plug it into the old server. Open ntbackup, and backup everything.

Install a fresh installation on your new server, apply any OS updates, hit "restore". This is very unsupported, and depending on how different the hardware is it may not work. We found we had to omit restoring boot.ini in order to make a bootable system, but despite what everyone told us, it definitely does work as long as the HALs are compatible.