108759 Solutions
New Discussion

MS Gen8 server cannot boot Fedora 23 from disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Barrington
Trusted Contributor

MS Gen8 server cannot boot Fedora 23 from disk

I installed Fedora 23 from USB and network, with AHCI enabled, as I want to use software RAID.  During the Fedora setup I specified /boot as a 1GB RAID 1 ext3 filesystem across my two drives, which are installed in the left-hand two slots.  I observed the installation process setting up the boot image with no obvious problem.

On boot-up, the BIOS tries to boot from from hard disk (er - "C:" )  and fails to find a disk to boot from.  Have I hit something that this machine cannot do?  I would have thought a simple 2-drive setup like this was easy!

(I do not want to use onboard RAID, as I want to reduce the risk of not being able to read these disks on a different machine if this one has failed.  Also my old MS server became unfixable because there was no linux utility that could manage the hardware RAID and resync drives etc. - it was only available in WIndows...  The whole fake-RAID thing is a mess, hence me using software RAID.).

Could this be an issue with the filesystem type I have used, or the size of it, or the fact that it is mirrored?

David
2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: MS Gen8 server cannot boot Fedora 23 from disk

That should be a fairly simple installation. Where did the boot loader get installed? Maybe the installer chose the USB key instead of the hard drive, I've seen that happen before.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
David Barrington
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: MS Gen8 Asserver cannot boot Fedora 23 from disk

I tried changing the filesystem type for /boot to ext2.  I can now boot OK!

David