1745853 Members
4327 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cluster

rudy_4
Advisor

cluster

i have a clustered system with 2 nodes using hp mscguard any way i was wondering how can i add as far as cabling a third cluster to the system any ideas the heart beat and...
4 REPLIES 4
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Re: cluster

I am assuming that you meant adding a third server to the existing cluster...

First, what servers and storage are you currently using?

In general, to add a third node you must be using a fibre channel storage system (like the MSA1000) that will allow you to conenct the third server directly to the storage. You will also need an ethernet switch for the heartbeat (if you are using a crossover cable now, you will have to replace it with a standard ethernet cable conencted to the switch.).

There is more information here:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/solutions/enterprise/ha/linux/svcguard-config.pdf

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/ha/index.html#ServiceGuard%20for%20Linux

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
See this doc for relevant information.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B3936-90073/B3936-90073.html

Hope that helps.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
rudy_4
Advisor

ok i know that it have to be connected to the san for the storage and a normal ethernet connection to connect to the network and a 2nd ethernet card for heart beat
but where will i plug the heart beat i already have to servers that are using cross over between each other with the new server do i have to put 2 ethernet cross over for heart beat for every server? and also one extra heart beat for the other servers
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

On the dedicated heartbeat - Doug is correct. Take the crossover cable off the systems and save it for some other system. Add a switch and the NICs that are used for the dedicated heartbeat are connected to the new switch. This is now the dedicated heartbeat for the entire cluster.

The other NIC(s) get added to the client LAN.

For storage, if you are using an MSA or EVA use the new 7.00.3 FibreChannel driver. It is the one that officially supports more than 2 nodes for those storage systems. This driver has built in multipathing as well.