1748128 Members
3797 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO integration with SIM

Weatherman_1
Occasional Advisor

iLO integration with SIM

I have a DL380 G5 inside the DMZ and I would like to monitor it in SIM but I don't want to open any ports up if possible. I have iLO set up on the normal internal network. I was wondering if there is a way to forward SNMP traps to my SIM server via iLO? I went into the Management page under Settings on the iLO and set everything up but my test alerts are not getting through. I have the Insight Manager Web Agent URL set to the DMZ address of the server. I have also tried using the IP address of the iLO. Neither work. I have the level of data returned set to enabled. Is what I am trying to do possible?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
acartes
Honored Contributor

If I understand you correctly, the server with iLO is in the DMZ, the iLO port is not in the DMZ, and the HP SIM server is not in the DMZ.

In this case, yes, you can manage the server from HP SIM via iLO. You must have the SNMP service running on the server, the iLO driver loaded and the HP Management Agents running.

The iLO network address is used by HP SIM; the SNMP requests are passed from iLO to the host.

Check the iLO SNMP/Insight manager settings. Verify that alerts, forwarding, and pass-through are all enabled. The SNMP alert destination should be set to the HP SIM server network address. Then click "send test alert" to see that iLO can route an alert to HP SIM.
Weatherman_1
Occasional Advisor

Yes, you are correct. The server in question is in the DMZ, the iLO and SIM server are not.

I do have the SNMP service running on the server, the iLO is working although I'm unclear on what you mean by iLO driver, and all of the HP management agents are running. In the Insight Manager Web Agent URL box I have the iLO address and level of data returned is enabled.

The SNMP Alert Destination is set to the SIM server IP address and all three radio buttons below it are enabled.

I am still unable to successfully send a test alert to SIM.

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If ports 161 and 162 are not open, SNMP traffic is not going to go anywhere...
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Did you go into the ILO Settings to the SNMP/Insight Manager settings and enable the "SNMP Pass-thru" and set the Trap destination to your SIM Server ?
Weatherman_1
Occasional Advisor

David,

We already have a fully-functioning SIM server on our internal network so I know ports 161 and 162 are open there. And the iLO is on that internal network, not the DMZ. Is there something else that has to be opened up in order for that to work? If the traps are being re-routed through iLO then there shouldn't be any need to open the ports up between the DMZ and the internal network, right?