cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Automatic Polling?

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Disable Automatic Polling?

Our SIM server is trying to poll our networking equipment unnecessarily. This is causing our networking equipment to send authentication failures on a regular basis. We only want to use SIM to manage our HP servers. I have removed the networking ip addresses from the SIM database, but the server is still trying to authenticate.

Is SIM set to automatically scan the network? I would like to limit polling and scanning to systems that I manually add. If not, can I manually exclude certain addresses to stop the authentication attempts?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Re: Disable Automatic Polling?

Hi Donnie,

If you removed the network equipment from the SIM database, I think it should not be polled by HP SIM.

If the equipment reappears, you may :
- either have an enabled scheduled discovery task that keeps on adding the equipment; check the discovery tasks with Options->Discovery...

- or have configured HP SIM to "Automatically discover a system when an event is received from it" and configured your equipment to send SNMP traps to the HP SIM server; check with Options->Discovery... then follow the "Configure general settings" link (where you can fine tune your discovery tasks).

Hth,
Pierre-Marie
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Donnie,

You can also add the network IP's or range of IP's for your network gear to exclude them from the automatic discovery job. This way SIM won't scan it. Without knowing your network topography, or where your desired clients are, it's tough to say how best to setup the automatic discovery scan. Remeber polling only takes place if SIM either a) discovers a system for the first time and sees it as a valid client (by filters) or b) it is already a client and the scheduled polling task is updating its information.

Hope this helps.
Derek
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

How do I verify that automatic polling is turned off?
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Automatic discovery is turned off: Options -> Discovery... and then click the Disable button to disable the task.
You do not want to disable polling unless you literally have a static environment. No changes in servers at all (hardware, software, cfg's, etc.)