Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753868 Members
7343 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

> 5000 managed nodes POSSIBLE, for CMS ?

Don Benkendorf
Occasional Contributor

> 5000 managed nodes POSSIBLE, for CMS ?

I've read the docs. and seen the HP Sizer preconfigured solutions, and "built" some custom solutions. 5000 is the maximum shown/allowed. However, if/when iLO (NIC) card IP addresses count as a separate "system", I believe I have an environment with between 8000 and 10000 "system" nodes, with upwards of 15000, for growth. I'm thinking to have regional servers, but I'd also like failover between them, so the managed nodes TOTAL will be >5000, on each CMS. Any way to do this ?
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: > 5000 managed nodes POSSIBLE, for CMS ?

5,000 is not a hard limit and many people have environments larger. 5,000 however is what we generally size to in a reasonable fashion and with acceptable performance to most people. Likewise, some people find it difficult to achieve anywhere near 5,000 with what they consider acceptable response time.

This is a classic "your mileage may vary" situation and there are numerous variables to take into account. There is a new whitepaper, "Configuring HP SIM for Optimal Performance in a Large Environment" available from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library that you may find helpful.
Don Benkendorf
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, David.
Yes, I've already browsed that whitepaper you mentioned on "...Optimal Performance in a Large Environment". I can't remember whether I saw it there or in some other doc., but somewhere I noted that HP defined "large number of systems" as >1000 nodes. It was at that point I became concerned given what I have to deal with.... Any architecture ideas for me ? Regional CMS's o.k., should there be a "managing" CMS, i.e. a hierarchical structure ? Will failover be workable ? Things like that ? Thanks.
TimClarke