Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753403 Members
7676 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help with SMTP notifications

Ben Quinton

Help with SMTP notifications

We'd like to configure HPSIM to use port 587 on our mail server. How can we configure that? If that's not possible, can we configure HPSIM to use SMTP over TLS?
7 REPLIES 7
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Re: Help with SMTP notifications

I think, problem is outside HP SIM. Internaly SIM don't use SMTP and you have to forward SNMP traps via SMTP protocol to your mail server. But this configuration is executed outside SIM in protocol settings/firewall settings, etc.
http://www.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/downloads/management/hpsim/HPSIM_Security_WP.pdf
regards,
Andrzej
Ben Quinton

Thanks for the response Andrzej. I wasn't able to find any mail or SMTP references in the security document you linked. I'm interested in configuring HPSIM to send email alerts via port 587 or via TLS, not monitoring these services (in case that was unclear). You mentioned HPSIM doesn't use SMTP internally - do you have more information on the internal workings of the email alerts feature?

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There's no obvious place in HPSIM to change SMTP away from the default IP Port that I can see and nothing in the documentation.
In the HPSIM e-mail config, you could try using a :587 at the end of the SMTP Server name. It might then know to use the different Port Number.
Ben Quinton

I've tried adding a :587 as well as a (space)587 to the end of the mail server string, but when I click the OK button, I get an error message 'Specify valid host name or IP address'
CapoArgentino

I am having this issue as of today and Im running SIM 7.5. There is no option to specify the SMTP port anywhere and most SMTP services now a days are moving away from port 25 for obvious reasons. 

Does anyone know how to force HP SIM to use SMTP port 587 ??

tommairs

Did this ever get resolved?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

No, i've not read about a solution tocuse an other port.
Kind regards,

Andrew