1753835 Members
7451 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5.3u1 on Linux

R o b
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 5.3u1 on Linux

I have just done a fresh install of HP SIM on a Red Hat 5.3 64 bit server. HP SIM appears to be running fine, but discovery does not add any hosts.

If I do a mxnode -v -lt from the command line, I can see a list of hosts. I can snmp walk servers from the SIM server. SNMP and SSH are setup correctly. The discovery log output confirms this. I just don't see any servers on the All Systems page.

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.3u1 on Linux

Check no filters have been enabled (under the Discovery Section) as this can hide servers if they're not being correctly identified.
R o b
Occasional Advisor

Nope, filters are disabled
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

When you say "hosts" what do you mean? Are these virtual server hosts?
Check the subnet is in the Discovery range and that you can ping the servers from HPSIM. You mention you cannot see them in All Servers, ensure the view is All Systems.If they're not being correctly identified they will not show as servers.
R o b
Occasional Advisor

I know this sounds ridiculous...

I have tried discovering a range and just a single host. Can definitely ping, snmp walk & ssh. When I do a discovery I can see these things working in the log. The hosts just never seem to get added/ displayed to the web interface. As stated in my first post, "mxnode -lt" seems to confirm that SIM knows about the hosts, I just see nothing on the web interface.

When I say hosts, I mean real physical servers (dl380 g4&g5s)

I think I will start again with 5.2 and see if I have more success.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Are you logged in as the same user the service is running as (the install user)? If a different user, did you provide authorizations?
R o b
Occasional Advisor

Logged into sim as root. Have set up authorisations (snmp public community and ssh username and password).
R o b
Occasional Advisor

I completely removed the hpsmdb database and started from scratch and it is working as expected now. Something must have gone wrong in the initial install.

Thanks for the help guys.