5487 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM Remote Servers

Gwen Demulder
Occasional Visitor

HP SIM Remote Servers

Hi,

I've been experimenting with HP SIM and I like it so far. I am wondering if I can use SIM to monitor the many servers we have at client sites.

I get the impression that only the local network can be tracked in HP SIM. Is this correct?

Hopefully I am wrong and someone can point me to a manual to track remote servers.
6 REPLIES 6
sidd411
Advisor

Re: HP SIM Remote Servers

I also get the impression that it is not possible to monitor nodes across WAN. I dont have any data/document to back up my statement although.
Srinivas
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I monitor +1000 servers with HP SIM accross a European WAN with success...

Important to know is which ports needs to be open for discovery and monitoring...

You can start with following document:

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/MANAGINGHPServers-withHPSIM.pdf

It is still a document for an old version of SIM but the mechanisms used stayed the same throughout the newer versions...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
sidd411
Advisor

Thanks Bart ! The document is a great asset
Srinivas
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.

Enjoy HP SIM since it is a great product, I use it already for more than 15 years now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gwen Demulder
Occasional Visitor

I have encountered the pdf during the search for more information. It's not clear to me how this exactly is implemented, more detail would be welcome. I can forward my wbem port to a server that I want to monitor, it does appear, but I cannot see the other servers in the network.

I am somewhat struggling to comprehend the document. Maybe it's a language barrier :)

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

The initial discovery from HP SIM consists of 3 thing:

ping

SNMP

SMH in case of a Proliant server

So verify that you can ping at least the remote server, that SNMP ports are open in 2 ways and also port 2381 being https trafic...

With this, you will be already a big step forward...

When you run a discovery afterwards in SIM you will see which other processes will work or not... But see first that the 3 primary ones are OK...

Kr,

Bart