1753789 Members
7486 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM\ SNMP Trap issue

Robclarke41_1

HP SIM\ SNMP Trap issue

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can answer this! I had HP SIM v6 working perfectly on Windows 2003 standard SP2. I have now moved it to a Windows 2008 R2 x64 machine and it all looks ok but the server just will not receive SNMP traps. I have tried SNMPutil and proved that it is a problem with the traps reaching the server rather than a HPSIM issue. Does anyone know off hand of a reason why the 2008 machine can't receive traps? There is no firewall enabled.
4 REPLIES 4
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Do you use your SIM server name for the trap destination of the agents?
You could have an IPv6 issue.
Windows 2008 can ping a server using the IPv6 address but snmp traps will not pass depending of the network configuration.
Try ping from your managed system if you get an IPv6 address for your SIM server its a network problem. Check the Microsoft technet for more details on IPv6.
Hope this helps.

Robclarke41_1

An excellent suggestion but IPv6 is disabled and when I ping the server I get an IPv4 address back. I was hoping this was all it was! Could there be other software interfering or intercepting SNMP traps? Even to the extent that it could stop SNMPutil working? The strange thing is that all the same software was installed on the Windows 2003 machine and there were no problems. Thanks for your help so far!
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

What is the source of the traps?
If the source is also a Windows 2008 system disable of IPv6 in the network does not always work. You need also to change some registry keys. Windows can communicate with IPv6 even if you disabled on both side IPv6. But SNMP will not work in such situations.

Did you try to access i both direction a MIB access with snmpget or walk?
Robclarke41_1

Thanks for your help, in the end it turned out to be a problem with the SNMP service as I added and removed the SNMP 'feature' in the Windows 2008 server manager and all is ok.